What is your opinion?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
deadedith

What is your opinion?

Post by deadedith »

I've been looking at and reading about this guitar for a year now, and I want to build it and will at some time.

Just askin' - after you look at it and read the reasoning behind it - if a kit provider would provide the kit, would it be a project you would like to build? The headblock and all that could be what is usually provided, it would not have to follow the plan exactly; but the pinless bridge, the florentine cutaway, the simplified bracing pattern etc would make, I think, for a fun build and an attractive one.

http://www.liutaiomottola.com/instruments/Ipomoea.htm

Are there any others out there who would like to build a kit like this?
hummingbird

Re: What is your opinion?

Post by hummingbird »

Yes someday I would. But let me get at least one guitar under my belt first.
Alain
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Look interesting. I may try and build one, but would be down a couple instruments on my guitar plans. I would be interested in knowing how it sounds.
I think I would modify the neck joint and make a Doolin adjustable neck.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I like it. I haven't successfully done a pinless bridge yet, but will keep working at it. I don't like the bolted fingerboard extension, however, but that is an easy change. Cool looking little guitar!
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Yes, I think with a few changes - mainly, using the neck/headblock from our usual suppliers, this could be a good instrument.
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

hummingbird wrote:Yes someday I would. But let me get at least one guitar under my belt first.
Same here. :) I really like cedar top guitars.
Also, I'd like to do a wider, more fingerstyle-oriented neck. At least a 1 3/4 nut.
David L

Post by David L »

I'm not crazy about the looks of alternatively placed soundholes (mind you I'm not considering tonal characteristics, only aesthetics). I don't consider myself a traditionalist at all, "misplaced" sound holes just look odd to me. But hey, that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions, "they're like buttholes, everbody's got one snd they all stink". Not working today so I had to borrow .02 cents from Ken to post this one.

David L

edited due to my lack of spelling abilities, hate that!
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Personally I am partial to rounded as opposed to pointed features -- so this does not appeal to my eye. As for kitting a particular style I depend on inquiries and requests, if I get many I take the next step to engineer the Kit -- the Ditson "D", The Martin "00" 12th fret, Gibson J200, Gibson J185 and the Gibson L00 are examples. The other motivator for me as a kit supplier would be a tread of great players using a particular guitar, Rick Ruskin, Alex Degrasi, Laurence Juber, Eric Clapton etc. I get requests for kits that "tonally" compare to the models these guys play. Degrasi's Maple Lowden is of interest to me and likely will be kitted at some point. Bottom line since I have no way of knowing or comparing the "sound" qualities of a radical guitar design I'll just leave those to the more adventurous builders such as you Dave.
Last edited by kencierp on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Phil Keaggy's James Olson 'small jumbo' isn't a bad guitar either. :-)
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

So many great guitars and so little time!