What is your opinion?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
deadedith

Re: What is your opinion?

Post by deadedith »

Are the pinless bridges glued on or epoxied?
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I am a die hard fan of original Titebond

Doolin's pin-less bridges are really cool with a twist

http://www.doolinguitars.com/pinless.html

Email Mike I am sure he'll share his gluing technique
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

kencierp wrote: I hesitate to offer a pin-less model kit only because the gluing and clamping process is so critical.
I guess that was my point. Not implying it won't work, just that it has to be done perfectly. I've read about several Ovation bridges pulling loose. I have an Ovation purchased new in the fall of 1981 and the bridge is holding fine.
Slacker......
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

kencierp wrote:I am a die hard fan of original Titebond

Doolin's pin-less bridges are really cool with a twist

http://www.doolinguitars.com/pinless.html

Email Mike I am sure he'll share his gluing technique
I saw the bridge on one of his guitars in Rick's shop at his pre GAL get together. They are very nice. I also have been looking at his adjustable neck design. There is an article in one of the GAL journals I picked up.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Darryl I am with you 100% on the glue concern -- I have seen failures even on classics. The off shore Lowden's (cheapies) have reports of bridges popping off as well. And every used Ovation I've looked at, at Elderly's had a sound board or bridge problem. So clearly its not just a matter of plopping on a pin-less bridge. Dave I hope you plan on contacting Doolin -- I bet he has some thoughtful insight.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Yep, I've emailed Doolin. I'm a fan of his designs anyway, so this gave me a chance to tell him that and ask for thoughts on the pinless bridges. I'll post any response I get from him.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Mike Doolin replied, saying that his usual practice is to chisel off the finish and use wood glue to attach the pinless bridges BUT - following Larrivee's lead, has also tried CA'ing the bridge directly to the finish, and finds that, so far, it works.

I emailed him back, stating that I might very well have a nervous breakdown and need therapy if I thought I had to try the CA method, and Mike sympathized but stands by his practice. He did state that he uses a polyester finish which may have something to do with it - he uses enough CA to get a pretty good squeeze-out and uses acetone for clean-up; the polyester is not affected by the acetone.

So, who of you is going to try it first?? :-)
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I ran this past Brian Burns; Brian thinks that the CA is too brittle for his taste. Brian's method of bridge gluing is hot hide glue directly to the unfinished top, then french polish the top as normal.
Just fyi.
Herman

Post by Herman »

For some years I owned an expensive Lowden 12 string Ovankol guitar with a pinless bridge. Great guitar, flawless built. A beauty with a split saddle. The top and bridge stayed fine. But 12 sting playing was not my thing so..

I don't know if Lowden placed a bridgeplate under the top. honestly, I even don't know what kind of bracing it had. Maybe some else here knows.