HD28 Kit - First Build

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
David L

Re: HD28 Kit - First Build

Post by David L »

Rick, I also had fears and anxiety about doing certain processes but I was encouraged by the good folks here that there is nothing that I can screw up so bad that they can't help me fix. Also one of John's favorite sayings playing over and over inside my head "take your time and you'll be alright". I was just sharing with another forum member by email one of my favorite sayings "when building a guitar, patience is my best friend".

David L
Rick S

Post by Rick S »

I finally got some shavings. I'm close to gluing on the top, however, I found out that I too am lousy with a chisel. The braces weren't too bad. But, I really had a tough time with trying to notch the linings for the x braces. I've got to come up with another method for future guitars. I've got to either use a router and go all the way through the side or do something different.

Has anyone considered pre-notching the linings in some form of a jig before gluing them to the rims?

I'm thinking I might be able to come up with a better result by using templates to determine the exact position, molds to match the bend of the sides and a router with preset depths to make the cut. Possible? Plausible? Totally rediculous?
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Rick,

I know some people use a dremel or laminate router on a small base with a skinny bit. You'll still need to clean up the slots with a chisel, but as long as your brace tails are all the same thickness, this can save you some time.

However, I wouldn't say it's any 'easier' than doing it with chisels. You have to be very careful with the router, or you can blow out the binding, or chip out lining material.

Any tool or method is going to have a learning curve. Since I'm not a production shop, am generally not in a hurry, and much prefer the sound and feel a nice sharp chisel slicing through wood, than I do the high-volume, high-frequency whirring of a router bit, I still prefer the chisel method. =)

With chisels, just make sure they are exceptionally sharp, that you are using the right chisel(s) for the job at hand, and that you aren't in a hurry.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Jim_H wrote: With chisels, just make sure they are exceptionally sharp, that you are using the right chisel(s) for the job at hand, and that you aren't in a hurry.
Well, you had me all the way until that last one. :)
I'm always on a tight schedule, at least I have enough common sense to mostly steer clear of large powertools.
Rick S

Post by Rick S »

Jim_H wrote:Rick,

I know some people use a dremel or laminate router on a small base with a skinny bit. You'll still need to clean up the slots with a chisel, but as long as your brace tails are all the same thickness, this can save you some time.

However, I wouldn't say it's any 'easier' than doing it with chisels. You have to be very careful with the router, or you can blow out the binding, or chip out lining material.

Any tool or method is going to have a learning curve. Since I'm not a production shop, am generally not in a hurry, and much prefer the sound and feel a nice sharp chisel slicing through wood, than I do the high-volume, high-frequency whirring of a router bit, I still prefer the chisel method. =)

With chisels, just make sure they are exceptionally sharp, that you are using the right chisel(s) for the job at hand, and that you aren't in a hurry.
Jim, thanks for the recommendation and comments. I do think I would do better with a dremel than chisels. My chisel was sharp but not "scary" sharp. It was about a 1/4" wide. Too big? A dremel with the circle cutting attachments is on my wish list for cutting the sound holes so mayble I can make it do double duty. I have my eye on a precision inlay tool like the one John uses which I might be able to use as well. I'm still intrigued by the idea of getting that "perfect" joint by pre-notching the linings with jigs, templates and some form of power tool with the linings a safe distance from the guitar. I think it's time to get some practice wood to get started on that learning curve.
Rick S

Post by Rick S »

MuddyFox wrote:
Jim_H wrote: I'm always on a tight schedule, at least I have enough common sense to mostly steer clear of large powertools.
Amen to that!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use the inlay tool for this job. Makes for a very clean and precise fit . Yet I have seen people that did it with an exacto know also. It is about technique and sharp.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

If using through brace inlets......anyone see a need to trim the end of the inletted braces short of the binding? I've read claims that leaving the ends of the braces against the binding can push on the binding causing it to pull loose from the rim. Sure can't recall where I read that so thought I would ask.
Slacker......

Post by   »

Rick S wrote:I finally got some shavings. I'm close to gluing on the top, however, I found out that I too am lousy with a chisel. The braces weren't too bad. But, I really had a tough time with trying to notch the linings for the x braces. I've got to come up with another method for future guitars. I've got to either use a router and go all the way through the side or do something different.
Has anyone considered pre-notching the linings in some form of a jig before gluing them to the rims?
I'm thinking I might be able to come up with a better result by using templates to determine the exact position, molds to match the bend of the sides and a router with preset depths to make the cut. Possible? Plausible? Totally rediculous?
Rick,
Frank Finocchio produced a five DVD set on guitar construction. He demonstrates using a Dremel free hand to cut the purfling at the X brace intersection as you describe, without cutting the sides. This DVD set can be rented online at smartflix dot com.

Alternatively I suppose you could temporarily attach the purfling with double sided tape and make your markings. Then remove the purfling and do your cutouts before permanently gluing the purfling to the sides.

tb
Rick S

Post by Rick S »

tippie53 wrote:I use the inlay tool for this job. Makes for a very clean and precise fit . Yet I have seen people that did it with an exacto know also. It is about technique and sharp.
Thanks for the information John. I suspected that you used your inlay tool for this job. It seems like a perfect application for it.