HD28 Kit - First Build

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Rick S

Re: HD28 Kit - First Build

Post by Rick S »

Ok, here's where I currently stand. Main soundbox is basically ready to go. Mainly need to clean up a little and notch for top and back. The back braces and back center brace have been glued on. The top I need to shape and glue the tone and figure braces. First, I need to read up a little on the rules of gluing on the bracing (e.g. which braces are inlet into the kerfing, which ones stop short of the kerf, etc). Here are some pictures taken since the last batch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rick S on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick S

Post by Rick S »

One more pic showing the back with bracing:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick S

Post by Rick S »

More pictures of the process since that last batch:
Rick S

Post by Rick S »

I have more pics that I'll add later.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looks good Rick. I don't see anything wrong with what you've done yet!!

Kevin
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Looks good, Rick! I can't wait to see some shavings! :o)
~ Neil
David L

Post by David L »

Looks good Rick, you're rollin' now!

David L
Rick S

Post by Rick S »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Looks good Rick. I don't see anything wrong with what you've done yet!!

Kevin
Thanks Kevin. If there's not anything major wrong at this point, give me time. There's so much yet to do! I'm really concerned about the neck block angle. I'm anxious to at least dry fit the top to see if I'm close.
Rick S

Post by Rick S »

nkwak wrote:Looks good, Rick! I can't wait to see some shavings! :o)
Thanks Neil. I had hoped to see some shavings myself over the long weekend. I didn't get near as much done as I wanted. Some of delay was due to choosing to spend time with family but, I don't want to admit this, part of it is fear of not doing the next steps well (i.e. finishing the braces, notching the linings for the top and back, closing the box).
Rick S

Post by Rick S »

David L wrote:Looks good Rick, you're rollin' now!

David L
Thanks for the moral support David. I haven't made much progress lately. Once I close the box, I'll most likely be on hold for awhile until I get everything I need to cut the channels for the bindings. I have a Fleishman binding machine and Porter Cable laminate trimmer already but I need to decide what size bits / bearings I need to do the job.