It is good to be back!

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
convict27

It is good to be back!

Post by convict27 »

Hello all,

My Name is Blaine and I was previously on the old forum as BlaineC. It has been a number of years since I have been on here and man, have things changed! The new forum looks awesome. Good to see that there are a few people on here that I recognize from before and a bunch of new faces. The work that everyone has done is just amazing.

So what brings me back? Well to put it frankly, I made a bad choice on my guitar a few years ago and am just now getting around to remedying the situation. You see when I built my guitar, I had done a Celtic theme with my sound hole and inlaying on the soundboard. Well I made the mistake of trying to re-finish the whole thing in a green sunburst. Well that would have been all fine and dandy if I had remembered all the proper prep-work that needed to be done first before the spraying. I made the mistake of rushing my work and then running out of the green that I was using before it was completed. Top that onto the fact that I am now stationed in Japan where I can not get a lot of the original finishing product that I had used before sent through the USPS.

So this time I decided to do it right, and following all of the good advice that I found here originally when I was constructing my first kit, I am almost finished with my rework. This time I stripped everything down and put a good two weeks in prepping the body before I went back to actually applying the finish. I went and repaired some loose binding spots and took my time and reminded myself that patience will pay off. I re-finished it using Formsby's High Gloss Tung oil because that was all I could get my hands on locally. The amazing part is that my finish is already looking a thousand times better than when I did the original finish.

Getting back into working on my guitar brought back all the memories and enjoyment that I had on the first go around. I enjoyed it so much that I went and ordered my second kit using the LMI Kit wizard. I hopefully will receive the kit here within the next week as I placed my order on the 1st of July. It is going to be an OM 14 fret with Engleman Spruce top, and Monkey Pod back and sides. As soon as the kit gets here I will be sure to post up pictures.

It is going to be an interesting process as living here in Japan, I do not have all of my tools or even a true workspace. I also do not have the luxury of running down to the local homedepot, or sears to pick up a few odds and ends so trying to find what I need locally is a challenge all in itself.

Thanks again to everyone here for making this such a wonderful and informative location to discuss a mutual enjoyable hobby!

-Blaine
Blaine Conrey
Ken Hundley

Re: It is good to be back!

Post by Ken Hundley »

Welcome back, Blaine! I remember your guitar, and am glad to hear she is on her way to where you want it to be. Keep us up to date on how things progress with your build!
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
David L

Post by David L »

Welcome (back) Blaine, I'm a relative newcomer to the forum (and guitar building) and wasn't around when the old forum was kicking. I am looking forward to seeing pics of the celtic themed guitar!

David L
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

we are here to help and offer support and opinions with a touch of humor .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Great to hear from you Blaine! Welcome back.
Slacker......
convict27

Post by convict27 »

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Right now I am still doing some wetsanding on the sides before I get to the point of polishing. After that I get to file a new saddle because in my re-re-finishing work, I have somehow misplaced it.
Blaine Conrey