New to group

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Tim R

Re: New to group

Post by Tim R »

Hello all,

Just checking in to say that John Hall at Blues Creek will be shipping my 000 12-fret Engelmann/Rosewood kit tomorrow. I am very pleased with the decision to buy through John.

Can't wait to get started. I'll check in again when the kit arrives, no doubt with my first building question for the group... Probably something along the lines of "um, what do I do first." :) As I await arrival, I'll be building a go bar deck.

Cheers,
Tim
David L

Post by David L »

In the interim you can work on your mold, whether you make it or buy it, it is a must.

David L
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the kit will come with a 1/2 tracing so train them termites
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
David L

Post by David L »

John, I thought you were going to start stocking luthier termites so that we wouldn't have to train them ourselves.

David L
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the small whips were outlawed
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

Hello all,

Well, after I bought the parts for a threaded-rod style go bar deck, I realized I could just use the gap between two previously built 24" wide track shelves in my garage (1/2 of which is now my “shop”). I've attached a pic showing a ripped piece of pine registering about 7.2 lbs. of force, which seems about right, no...?

The humidity in my garage is not likely to drop below the mid 50s at night even in dead of "winter" here in San Diego, mid 60s during the day. I'm thinking of hanging some plastic sheeting between the shelves that are shown in the pic and buying a small dehumidifier for storing the wood and for doing glue-ups. Does this seem like a good strategy to you guys? Can you suggest a decent but low cost small dehumidifier?

David L : Regarding molds, I went ahead and purchased John's mold for this first build. This will give me more confidence getting started. I really enjoy reading your (and others) build blogs, by the way. Some beautiful work being done by list members!

And for the record, no termites allowed in my house, trained or not!

Looking forward to my kit arriving soon.

Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Make sure you have enought weight on that shelf so it doesnt lift up when you get a bunch of go bars under it. It would really suck if the contents of the shelf came tumbling down on your work!!
Now if the kit would arrive, you could get to work!
David L

Post by David L »

Can't help you with the de-humidifier thing, it's something that I really need to address living in south Louisiana but I've been avioding like the plague, but I'm going to have to bust a move soon as I have some brace glue-ups coming fast.

David L
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

Tony: Good point. Each shelf bracket is rated for 150 lbs so I should be okay if I load some weight on the top shelf. I'm pretty sure that I have a few bar bell weights collecting dust somewhere around the house (I wonder if I am the only one who does). The upward stick force will add up to quite a bit. Hey, this will be a good chance to teach my 9 yr. old multiplication in context.

Tim
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I have used more than 20 clamps at a time. 20 * 7 = 140 pounds. The go bar clamps can really add up. I have double thick 3/4 inch plywood. That holds alright.