New to group

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Tim R

New to group

Post by Tim R »

Hello all,

I’m new to this group. With some trepidation, I’m in the initial planning stages for my first kit guitar project. I’ve learned a few of the basics from a couple of books, on the web, and by just playing around with the LMI kit wizard, but I have not yet settled on either a particular guitar type or a supplier.

I’ll probably go with a Martin OM style. I am intrigued, though, by the 12-fret neck on the standard “14-fret body” design that has recently gained interest. I just noticed that Taylor has a GC model of that same basic design among their specialty guitars. This general design seems to suit my playing, which is almost exclusively finger style and rarely up to the 12th fret.

My question for the group is whether there is any reason why a first time builder should avoid this non-standard design. LMI lists a pre-carved, bolt-on, 12-fret neck that could, it would seem, be mated to the OM “14-fret” body. It’s expensive, but I think it is best for me to use a pre-carved neck and other “serviced” items for this first project, regardless of design.

I realize that the bridge is pushed further from the sound hole than usual in this design, but that, in itself, does not appear to pose any special building difficulty. Are there other issues that would make this type of design ill-advised for a first timer? For example, is the standard 14-fret body bracing pattern still appropriate with the bridge pushed further back from the sound hole than usual? Are there any other issues that would complicate construction?

Thank you!

Tim R
tippie53

Re: New to group

Post by tippie53 »

I know we can do a number of custom kits and configurations. We also provide full builder support so you won't feel alone. Check out Blues Creek Guitars ,
we are here to help and thanks for joining the forum
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
David L

Post by David L »

Welcome to the forum Tim R, I deal with John (Blues Creek) and Ken (KMG) as much as I can before searching elsewhere. Thier quality is top shelf and thier customer service is second to none. They are also A-One supporters of this forum, check them out first. Post often and lots of pics when you get started!!!

David L
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Welcome to the forum Tim,
If you can, order from John at Blues Creek or Ken Cierp here on the forum as they are going to be alot of help to you. I have used the LMI kit wizard and it is a great way to put a custom kit together, so you may want to consider that down the road but for your first one, check in with them.
We have lots of fun here so don't be shy with the questions.

Kevin
Woody OKeefe

Post by Woody OKeefe »

Welcome Tim.
PLus 1 for John and Ken. I received my first kit from John at Bluescreek and one I'm working on now from Ken at KMG. Both of them give excellent support and that's what you need for your first kit. Of course we will all jump in and give our .02
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. Okay, I agree that making a good (hopefully) standard guitar would be great accomplishment to start with. After that, there will be plenty of opportunity for me to go out on my own and ruin some good wood. :D

I will definitely consider working through one of the luthiers you all mentioned.

My current guitar is a Taylor GC4, which I like. I'm looking for a design that will complement it in some way, not necessarily replace it. Either a Martin OM or 12-fret 000 seems a reasonable choice, or perhaps a mini jumbo such as a J-185. Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

My interest in luthery stems from two things, by the way. First, I just like construction type hobbies (though I have never really done any real woodworking), and combining that interest with my guitar playing seems an ideal avocation for me. Second, I play left-handed. You righty's would not believe how few good lefty guitars there are in even the largest shops, So, the righty strategy of playing a bunch of guitars and buying the one I like best just isn't possible. If I have to special order and commit $$$$ without even seeing the instrument first, I figure I might as well just order to parts and learn to build 'um myself!

Cheers,
Tim
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

It looks like the design you're interested in is a CF Martin 000-NB, the Norman Blake signature model.

I've built one, and it is a very comfortable guitar to play. The Martin version has a 1 7/8" wide neck which is way too wide for me, so I built mine using a 1 3/4" neck.

It's just as easy to build as any other style, just not as common. John at blues creek has the Martin bracing pattern, so there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Jim
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Welcome, Tim. I will also recommend going with John or Ken for a kit. I have not built either of their kits, but they supply good quality products and are fully committed to supporting them, and the rest of us knuckleheads when we get in a bind. Great group a guys to be a part of, and you'll get no bad advice here. Good luck on the guitar, and post lots of pictures.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

Ken, Jim, and all. I am in contact with John at Blue Creek Guitars. I'll post an update as things progress.

By the way, if any of you know of any amateur luthiers in the San Diego area who might be interested in getting together on occasion to work on projects, or in lending a hand to a newbie, please let me know.

Cheers,
Tim
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

John Hall can layout the Norman Blake bracing on the top so you don't have to wonder if you are doing it right. Otherwise, I would take RD's advise.
Slacker......