First try at bracing.

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
David L

Re: First try at bracing.

Post by David L »

I like to let beautiful wood like yours speak for itself. I vote no stain!

David L
pete nardo

Post by pete nardo »

Wow! this is your first build? very nice work.

Regards.
SharpsShooter

Post by SharpsShooter »

No stain it is. I got a few specs and lines of white substance, I'm guessing mineral deposits in the wood. I remember something that I read before about getting rid of them. I think wiping with acetone, but I might be wrong, I'll read some more.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Where are you at on this guitar? We need updates and pics!!
SharpsShooter

Post by SharpsShooter »

Currently working my set of nightshifts, which works out to about 15 hours a day, on days off will work on it again.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Ouch. Well I hope the time goes fast. I get a little antsy when I have a guitar I am working on and I can not get to it!
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Interesting that you scalloped the X-brace on the arms in the upper bout. Anyone tried this before? What is the benefit?
Slacker......
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Because of the way acoustic guitars normally fail -- cave in reverse belly at the sound hole on the upper bout -- I'd say this was/is not a good idea. Like Taylor/ Martin etc. I follow the school of thought that keeps the upper bout robust and fairly rigid. On the other hand, I tend to make the lower bout bracing rather light and I don't tuck any of the lower bout brace ends into the rim. Also I generally thin the soundboard around the lower bout perimeter to around 1/16". Sorta like the Taylor "routed perimeter" process, but blended on the visible surface.
SharpsShooter

Post by SharpsShooter »

I made my bracing like this because had seen photos of others like it. Maybe it was mistake, at this point in time not confirmed yet. Hope it works out and if it does'nt, well then I know what not to do if I build another. Has anyone built with he forward shifted stewmack suggestion, banjo killer? And if so, what was your experience with it? I also learned a new skill today, I removed the back off my body, I had closed it up, but the centerline had shifted ever so slightly, enough that it was affecting my sleep. Used iron, and pot of boiling water to keep a couple of knives warm, the process was easier than I had originally anticipated, and required only slight cleanup of glue to be back at pre-glue step.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I must say I have never seen pictures of a guitar with deep scalloping on the upper bout "X" leg like you have there (or such a thin upper leg for that matter) -- if possible could you please link the pictures/builder? I would like to contact the maker -- Thanks