First try at bracing.

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
SharpsShooter

First try at bracing.

Post by SharpsShooter »

I took a few photos of my first attempt at brace shaving. As most have stated that first time builders tend to overbrace I tried to avoid that. I hope that I didn't go overboard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony_in_NYC

Re: First try at bracing.

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Oh my god!!! You are so screwed!!! Those braces are WAAAAY too light!!

Just kidding! They look great! What size of guitar are you building?
I usually go overboard with sanding my braces once they are carved. I go up to 600 grit. They feel like melting butter when you rub them. I think it helps the sound escape the box because it just slips off of the braces! OK...I dont think that, but I do think that if the interior of your box looks like soundproofing material, it will hurt the sound. How much? I dunno. But what the heck, right?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you should be pleased with the end result. looks good
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
SharpsShooter

Post by SharpsShooter »

I'm building a dred size, indian rosewood/spruce top. The kit came from Martin guitars. Strange thing is I can't even play guitar, I'll have to get someone to play it once it's finished. I also didn't like wood very much, steel was my thing as if I made mistake you just take welder and build it up a bit, with wood you generaly get one go at your cut.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

SharpsShooter wrote:... steel was my thing as if I made mistake you just take welder and build it up a bit, with wood you generaly get one go at your cut.
Funny as I am all setup for welding, I have been thinking of welding together a mild steel guitar, with a wooden neck and fret board. I would build it as a resonator guitar.

Maybe like the included picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SharpsShooter

Post by SharpsShooter »

Nothing is impossible! Exept maybe the government having common sense.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

So if you don't like wood and you can't play, what made you decide to build a guitar? Seems like an odd choice considering all you said! Maybe you do like wood because you did a nice job with that soundboard!

I don't like people and I hate whiners which is why I didn't become a therapist! LOL
SharpsShooter

Post by SharpsShooter »

I enjoy building different things. The only thing up to now that I've found that I can't do is taxidermy, so be it. I play five string banjo, guitar has that extra string which confuses me. It started out that I wanted to build a banjo, and while I was looking around the internet found that Martin Guitar sold kits, so I ordered one. I'm building my tooling as I go along, so maybe I'll build some more. My wife said that someone is going to get a really nice guitar when I'm done.
Thanks on the bracing comment, when I do decide to do something I try to get as close to perfect as I can.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

You are doing a fine job so far. Keep posting pics as you go. I love me some "build along" threads!
David L

Post by David L »

+1 for pictures!!!!!!!

David L