First time builder, bracing question

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
blnote

First time builder, bracing question

Post by blnote »

The tapered end of the short side braces are beyond the guitar top, I'm assumming you cut the non tapered end before gluing. Also, does everyone scallop braces after they've been glued using chisels? That sounds like a good chance for a disaster especially with my chiseling skills (you should see the hinge pockets on the last door I hung). Are there other methods? Maybe use a Dremel?

This is my trial question before I ask how to fix the rim I messed up! Thanks
tippie53

Re: First time builder, bracing question

Post by tippie53 »

There are many ways to do this. I do pre scallop my braces before I put them on the top so I have only a little finish work on them. You just have to find your way on this , but it isn't that difficult and you will soon see that there are more ways to do this than you can imagine .
We are here to help so please enjoy the forum , there are some great guys and gals here.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Like John says there's many different ways to approach the top bracing process here's our KMG tutor

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/topbraceprep.html
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

blnote wrote:Also, does everyone scallop braces after they've been glued using chisels? That sounds like a good chance for a disaster especially with my chiseling skills (you should see the hinge pockets on the last door I hung).
I do. If your chisel is sharp it will cut wood without having to force it.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Martin is right on about the sharpness factor. It is night and day difference between really sharp and barely sharp.

Not everyone scallops, but it is a proven method and worth learning. I cut the scallop shapes before I glue on the braces, then use sandpaper (my first guitar) and a sharp chisel or small block plane to shave the braces a bit.

You can build a wonderful sounding guitar with some very basic bracework. You see pictures of high, thin, scalloped braces with holes of different sizes drilled into the braces to resemble the golden gate bridge or something and you think: "Oh man. I'll never be able to do that." Good news is, you don't have to. Ken's link above shows an excellent way to get great bracing done; it may not look like an engineering marvel from a boutique builder, but you can trust it, the same system has built world-class guitars.

DaveB
darren

Post by darren »

I pretty much glue on rectangles and do all shaping on the top... no bandsaw here. It actually goes faster than I like it to, and if you protect the inside of the top with some scrap taped down you shouldn't get too many nicks in it. Enjoy the process and find out the method your comfortable with.
Darren
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Here's a pic of what I meant.
DaveB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

I go pretty low tech, myself. I have a bracemaker for the radius but rough out the braces with a coping saw and a dremel. The results have been fine, and in some cases hard to distinguish the differences between "my" braces and the pre-made. Don't fear the dremel, I use mine all the time, it's one of my most valued tools.

Enjoy, and Good Luck!
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Or this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

+1 on the dremel. I use mine every day.