Ask for replacement part

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
mktitan

Ask for replacement part

Post by mktitan »

So today I noticed this little chip out of the neck block. Its on the left side at the top in the picture if you dont see it. Do you think I should ask Martin for a new one or is it inconsequential? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kencierp

Re: Ask for replacement part

Post by kencierp »

non-issue -- as a note to all, a guitar kit is not like a plastic airplane or knock down furniture kit -- guitar construction is an advanced wood working project. Even the very best builders using the very best tools and materials plan on hours of filling, sanding, carving and shaping of the various components to get them just right. $.02
mktitan

Post by mktitan »

Yeah, I have planned on hours of filling, sanding, etc...as part of the process and also to correct my mistakes. I didnt, however, plan on that type of stuff to repair chipped items that I purchased. If its nothing then its nothing and that's fine but I've never bought anything before and thought well if this is damaged when I buy it then no big deal b/c I'll just fix it. Thanks.
David L

Post by David L »

My neck block came looking just about the same as yours but I never thought twice about it. As I understand how the dovetail works, that particular area has little to do with where the contact points are of the male/female fit. If I am wrong about that, and someone will correct me, It's still a non-issue because when I sanded the top of the rim to achieve the 1.3 degree slope for the neck angle, only a tiny bit of that chip-out remains.

David L
mktitan

Post by mktitan »

Thanks David. I was, in effect, asking whether the flaw made a difference in the build or not.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

That will not hurt a thing and is usable. the top of the neck block should be sanded when you establish the neck angle .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com