Binding and purfling - multiple pieces - help needed

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
naccoachbob

Binding and purfling - multiple pieces - help needed

Post by naccoachbob »

Anyone have tips on laying 4 strips of purfling at the same time? It's bloodwood and maple, alternate. Size is .02x.10. I'll also be setting in the bloodwood binding at the same time.
I thought I'd super glue all of it at the tail block, and use white glue going around. I have Duco cement as well. If I use superglue, I'll put down sealer all around the top before using it.
Is this good? Is it a difficult process? Should I have another pair of hands to help?
Gloves needed? What type?
Thanks,
Bob
darren

Re: Binding and purfling - multiple pieces - help needed

Post by darren »

Bob,
a few methods are shared at this post: viewtopic.php?t=303

I had good results using lmi white for the whole process but it sounds like CA all around might be a good choice for this scheme. Keep in mind Ive got about as much experience as you so wait for others to chime in... Are you doing a miter at the end graft?
Darren
Tony_in_NYC

Re: Binding and purfling - multiple pieces - help needed

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Bob, I cant find it now, but I have seen "purfling holders" on other sites. You take a piece of scrap and make holes in it to feed the purfling through. then as you go around the guitar, you wont have to keep track of four strips, it will all be held together by the holder thingy. I will try to find a pic.

Edited!!!
I found a pic. Its the wood stick at the top left of the photo. It is simply a stick of wood with holes through it. You thread your purfling through the holes. Hope this helped.