Bridge Dimensions

deadedith

Re: Bridge Dimensions

Post by deadedith »

Would someone knowledgable point out which of those dimensions are absolutely critical, and which are open to a builders' whimsy? In other words, what is a 'minimum' bridge?
Thanks
DaveB
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Dave,
I think there might be a minimum glue area you want to reach, but after that, the shape is up to you. I have seen some funky bridges around the old internet! I have become fond of the Taylor design as of late though.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I'm sure you are right Tony. I have seen some weirdos on the net also, and I'm just looking to personalize it a little bit anyway.

Can anyone chime in about why we don't laminate a thin piece of brass or something to the bridge plate and eliminate the possibility of tear-out by the ball ends?
DaveB
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

StewMac used to sell something like that to be used to repair guitars with enlarged bridgepin holes so the ball ends would not come out.
I tried to find it to post a link, but could not. I dont even remember what it was called. But it exists...or existed. Some claimed it made the guitar sound better, others that it robbed the guitar of tone. Me? Well...lots of people call me Tone (because Tony isnt short enough I guess?) so I have all the "Tone" I need. Wocka wocka!!
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I had a floor pedal when I played a lot of electric - called a "ToneBone" - that has nothing to do with this conversation. :-)
daveB
darren

Post by darren »

the plate mate:
guess i'm the stewmac 'link guy' in this thread :) glad i can contribute anyway.

seems like around 1x6 is about as small as you want to get the bridge footprint. any thinner then that and i think you have problems with the break angles/pin to saddle lengths.
Darren
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Thanks Darren!
Anyone heard of a drawback to using this thing? I'm not looking for tone improvement since my guitars already make better tone than a 1929 Martin 00-18 (not :-() - actually they do sound pretty good, though - anyway, just thinking ahead to the day those ball ends do chew through the bridge plate - why not eliminate that possibility?

DaveB
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Why use this , just repair the plate . The plate mate will work but it is a bandaid . Repairing a plate is better than capping with a piece of metal . This can take away some treble and volume .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Well if it kills tone and volume, it's a goner.
Thanks John

DaveB
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Yes, Kevin understood my poorly worded request. In the diagram below, the depth of the bridge is shown as 1.420" on the standard bridge and shown as 1.500" on the oversize bridge. I would like to know what that dimension is on a Martin belly bridge. I, of course, realize I can make a bridge any size I want........I just want to know the Martin dimension so I can see if I can make the bridge slotting jig I'm building accomodate that bridge. It will work perfectly with a 1"x6" bridge.
darren wrote:Martin may not, but stewmac does:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... cs#details
Slacker......