OM back braces - traditional or not?

Morecowbell

OM back braces - traditional or not?

Post by Morecowbell »

I'm about to start the back braces on my OM. My S-M plans show the bottom two as lower and wider than the top two per the original style, but I have seen several folks replacing these with taller, thinner braces like the top two. Was thinking of keeping my first build traditional but was interested to hear any preferences from the group - thanks
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
tippie53

Re: OM back braces - traditional or not?

Post by tippie53 »

those the the old style and the new ones were added in the mid 80's
I don't think it matters all that much but my preference is the low wide ones
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

On the 3 sort-of OM copies I've built, I've made the back braces tall and thin because that's the way the luthier who taught me does it. They seem to work fine. I have no basis for comparison, however. Either tall/thin or low/wide will work.

My guitars seem to have quite "live" backs. The sound is significantly different if you hold the guitar tight to your body to damp the back vibration, or out and away from your body so the back can resonate. The lower mass of the tall/thin braces probably helps with that. But I've not tried low/wide to see what the effect might be.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I was wondering about this myself (again) just today, as I looked at the back braces on my latest OM style. I have followed closely (mostly) Jonathan Kinkead's book, and he uses all tall back braces. Once again, how can you really know unless you build two the same, one with each brace style? Bruce W.