Scratch Koa Parlor guitar in progress.

johnnparchem

Scratch Koa Parlor guitar in progress.

Post by johnnparchem »

I am in the middle of a class to craft a guitar from scratch with Rick Davis at Sound Guitar Workshop. I have made a lot of progress on the guitar. This weekend I finished the top, bottom and rim and fitted the back. I just need to fit the top and I can close the box.

The Parlor guitar will have Koa back and sides with a western redwood top. I plan to use ebony bindes and as a headplate. I made a new copy of my hawk and moon inlay that will look great in the ebony.

It has been great working with Rick. Simple changes to procedures and the use of tools have made a great improvment to my skills. Also to have someone there while learning how to listen for the tap tone while thicknessing the top and while shaving the braces was really valuable. Having some someone explaine a tone you are hearing beats all of the guitar building books I have read.

Also when I think I am done with a task, Rick will tell me thats OK but as your teacher ... another 1/2 of sanding and scraping. Happy to do it that is why I am there.

I am also working on a second LMI classical kit but I will post that in a seperate thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.