I want to build a nylon string crossover.

Kevin Sjostrand

Re: I want to build a nylon string crossover.

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

What about building a standard pattern classical and putting a steel string width/scale length neck on it.
I will probably do a mortise/tenon bolt on neck anyway, even if I "craft" an actual classical style guitar, but I'm not keen on the wide fretboards of a classical.....I have short fat fingers.
What do you all think about it?

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Unlikely the width of the neck will be an issue.

As for changing the scale length, you either decrease or increase string tension when you change the scale length. I would guess nylon strings are made with a particular tension in mind. I'm not sure how much you can change the tension and the string function properly. Also, you change the forces on the bridge if you change the string tension. The bracing structure is probably optimized for a specific tension. I'm sure it's all doable......but keep in mind what you would be affecting.
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Okay, that all makes sense, so I would need to stay at something like a 650mm scale length, but I could make it like a steel string width when I "craft" it.

Kevin
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I believe that you'll find the Martin long scale 25.34" actual is pretty darn close to 650mm, to me that is no surprise.
Kevin Sjostrand

Oh, well I hadn't yet tried to compare them, so I could do the scale I've been using, and it might just work out fine.
That would be super.
Well this project is a couple of guitars away, but I will start making the plans. Should be alot of fun to "craft" one.

Kevin
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

"Should be alot of fun to "craft" one."

Just as much fun to build it!! :-)
DaveB