Can U i.d. this wood?

deadedith

Can U i.d. this wood?

Post by deadedith »

Three pix - not so good,the middle pic is truest to the color, I might be able to do better - of a bunch of wood flooring planks (about 7"x1") left in the attic in the barn for at least 20 years. Our living room floor is made out of the stuff - it finishes beautifully - very hard wood. This house was once owned by a lumber yard owner who had access to some good stuff, but I don't know what this is. Would better pix help?
I'm thinking some 3 piece backs...
Thanks
DaveB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Hundley

Re: Can U i.d. this wood?

Post by Ken Hundley »

Looks a little like padauk with the heartwood along one edge. How hard is it? Does it smell almost like cinamon when you san or work it?
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the pictures are not much help . this could be any of many woods .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

A guess for sure -- but based on the look, age and usage -- I'd say it is Southern Yellow Pine -- used often for the main sections of the flooring. Some builders would do the perimeter/edges (a foot or so out) with White or Red Oak. If it is SYP, it is very difficult to work -- hard and sometimes stringy. $.02
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Ok, I'll do some sanding and get a shot of end grain.
The top 2 pix were taken after cleaning the accumulated junk off the unfinished wood and wiping it with naptha - the color is true. The bottom pic - the light must have been funny.
I'll try again.
Thanks
Dave
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Brazillian Cherry???
Slacker......
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Adaboy - that could be. Ken Cierp gave me a link - http://www.countryplank.com/species/ - and with a finish coat this stuff would have a reddish cast to it for sure.

Maybe yellow pine - but I remember a former owner saying South american or African - I was not the wood nut then that I am now.

No distinctive odor to speak of. Sawdust is orangy.

Two more pix - one taken in the shop, one taken of the floor.

Fun! Maybe a bridge/fretboard, veneer source! It would look fine.

DaveB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

BTW, if any of you guys out West would be interested, I am not tooled up to cut this into fingerboard blanks, bridge blanks, or headstock veneer and tail wedges, but I would be willing to ship to and from someone who could do the cutting and would offer to pay in the same wood planks or maybe some $.

DaveB