Deeper body for a Martin 000 build?

dave66

Deeper body for a Martin 000 build?

Post by dave66 »

Hi, im thinking of making a 14 fret 000 guitar, because I liken the idea of a smaller body, but wondered if making the body deeper - say 4.875" at the lower bout - would give it more volume, somewhere near a J45 or Dread volume?
johnnparchem

Re: Deeper body for a Martin 000 build?

Post by johnnparchem »

I am not sure the guitar would louder. The lower air resonance of the guitar will drop with increased volume. It might have a deeper bass voice on the lowest notes, maybe better for drop D tuning. I think the loudness of the guitar has a lot more to do with the efficiency of the top. It is a balance between mass and stiffness. The top has to be stiff enough to not overly distort under load but as light as possible to minimize the energy it takes to move the top.

I personally think a 000 is a large instrument already.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

All those types of changes have incremental effects. If you want more volume I would first change to an OM, the longer scale give more tension and more volume, then body depth. I build a deep body OM which is 3/8" deeper on both bouts. Comparisons with my other builds does verify it is louder, not just to my ear but others that have heard them as well.
Tim Benware
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I built a Triple-0 12 fret with a 3/4" deeper body. It is Mahogany and it sounds very very close to my actual Martin Triple-0 14 fret in Indian Rosewood. I don't know what part of the equation did that - the 12 fret, the Mahogany, or the body depth. (maybe my superior skills as a luthier after 2 guitars??)

Ed
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I played a lot with this when I started building. I found I personally didn't like wider bodies as it hurt my shoulder. In fact I have a pretty good market making thinner dreds.
If you do want to make it thicker don't go over 4 7/8 in fact 4 1/2 may be all you need. You won't get much out in volume a little but the sound may appear more woodier.
I agree long scale scalloped forward shifted may be your ticket. There are many variables so design and have fun. Let us know what you do. In the end we all want to know your end result.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I recently played around with a guitar plan, which turned into an experiment for sure. One of the things that I did was deepen the body by 3/8" in the lower bout. I'm sure that it brought out more of the base and mids for me. It can quickly become uncomfortable for your underarm and shoulder though, so think of that before adding too much depth.

I did a lot of things to this guitar, so whether it was one, or all, I don't know, but this 00 guitar has much more projection than my OM. However, it could simply be a combination of the woods that I used, which were quite old.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com