spruce top darkening

Stray Feathers

spruce top darkening

Post by Stray Feathers »

I've been working on two versions of my "Norman Kinkade" first builds, 12 fret short scales on a Jonny Kinkead OM-type body form. One is a new Sitka top, thicknesses to Kinkead specs (about .125") and the other is a Sitka (I think) top that was given to me already thicknessed to about .100". It has aged some or been exposed to light so has darkened. I have scraped and sanded some in the rosette process so it looks uneven. I have debated running it through the thickness sander to even the look a bit but am reluctant to thin it further. I know from a houseful of Douglas-fir trims that softwoods will darken, even to match older wood, so can I expect this to happen with this top? Or might it always be unevenly coloured? That would not be the end of the world - I'm more concerned about the sound. I have an older Larrivée that is a lovely dark colour and I don't mind that, if it's uniform. To sand or not to sand?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: spruce top darkening

Post by tippie53 »

you can sand the entire top. to even up the color
it happens when the wood is exposed to sunlight.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Re: spruce top darkening

Post by johnnparchem »

I would wait until the guitar was assembled, you will most likely need to sand the top as part of your prep work. That sanding will even the tone.