Martin 00 Plans

rgogo65

Re: Martin 00 Plans

Post by rgogo65 »

kencierp wrote:Martin supplies this information for "Guitar Players" not builders, to determine comfort levels and comparison to other brands and styles -- it's not intended to provide cloning information. The body depth is the deepest point -- large bodies taper about an inch, the smaller styles about 3/4". BTW there have been several law suits (Yamaha, Alvarez etc.) because Martin does not like others making copies.
Thanks for the response and info Ken, yes...I understand.
There were several lawsuits on the "Body Shape" of the Telecaster as well. The only thing that was "Protected" by law was the shape of the headstock...and the "Name". I'm sure that's why Martin doesn't supply "Decals" to go along with their kits. :)
The waist measurement certainly pertains to the players comfort but you'll not see those shared either.
Martin supplies KITS apparently for the average Joe to construct something close to their design, it would seem a bit "Unreasonable" to be that protective regarding measurements.
If you bought a kit and were smart enough to put it together you could simply "Measure it yourself" when finished could you not?
OR maybe even the tail and neck blocks before construction? I just think it's funny, but then....I have a perverse sense of humor, that's what my wife says anyway :)
Last edited by rgogo65 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

On my next Martin replica that I build for myself I'm gonna put a "I.M. Fartin" decal on the headstock.
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

enalnitram wrote:On my next Martin replica that I build for myself I'm gonna put a "I.M. Fartin" decal on the headstock.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Actually the sizes posted are not correct 100% on all the guitars . Martin is very free with information but they don't tell you everything . I am lucky that I live close to the factory and was one of the last to go through the training for a repair center .
CF Martin also changed the shape a few times over the years.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
temeh3

Post by temeh3 »

Martin bracing varies a lot. Plus a lot is said on forums about X angle and forward bracing etc. It is my opinion that this is the wrong way to think about it. The most important thing for a small guitar is for the X braces to exit under the narrow side of the bridge. The material of the bridge is also important. This is one place it is easy and cheap to use Brazilian Rosewood. There is nothing like it. Do not use Ebony for the bridge even if you use it for binding and fingerboard as it is a tone sucker there.
Otherwise use the list on the Martin site for specs.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

tippie53 wrote:Actually the sizes posted are not correct 100% on all the guitars . Martin is very free with information but they don't tell you everything . I am lucky that I live close to the factory and was one of the last to go through the training for a repair center .
CF Martin also changed the shape a few times over the years.
It seems there was more variation in sizes in the old days. Currently, it seems the box sizes are more consistent.

Anyone have ideas/suggestions for a binding/purfling scheme for the Cuban mahogany with a spruce top? Both black and creme look nice with the orangish hue of the Cuban. It's crossed my mind to have both and use a black and white ebony (like macassar) for the fingerboard and binding but I'm afraid it would look too busy.
Cuban Mahogany Back and Sides.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Darryl Young on Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Here are a couple Cuban mahogany guitars with black purflings.....nice look!

Slacker......
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

in the 80's martin started to control the sizes at more standardization was brought to the production floor . I agree that it isn't uncommon to see a 1/4 inch difference between samples . The actual body shape was modified a few times over the years . The latest was just a few years ago . CNC had done much to control the variables on the martin production floor .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

I was just looking thru the UMGF bracing library thread again, as I'm making braces, and I saw this pic in there, of a Martin custom shop 00, 12 fret, they built a couple of years ago for one of the UMGF people.

link
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

1935 00-21 # 60800 drawing by Willi Henkes