Martin 00 Plans

Darryl Young

Martin 00 Plans

Post by Darryl Young »

Not sure how often folks chack this forum but I'll try asking this question here.

Who makes a set of accurate plans for a Martin 00? A pre-war design with single finger braces has more appeal for me. I won't build exactly to the plan, but I would like to see how the original was laid out and vary from there <smile>. Did the old 00s have a 100deg X-brace angle at the bridge?

I plan to use Norman Blake 000 style features in a 00.......14 fret body with a 12 fret neck which moves the bridge toward the center of the lower bout. I already have the back and sides which will be Cuban Mahogany. Will likely use a Lutz top from High Mountain Tonewoods or an ADI top from RC Tone Woods (have both on-hand). Don't yet have a neck and havnen't decided on a trim scheme......any suggestions? Black looks good so maybe ebony bindings. Cream also looks good with an orange shaded wood so maple wouldn't look bad either.
Slacker......
tippie53

Re: Martin 00 Plans

Post by tippie53 »

I have tracings off the actual Martin production patters . Email me and I can help
john
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Sonds good John. We are about to go out of town but I'll get back with you after the weekend.
Slacker......
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

hi Darryl,
It sounds like John has you all set up for plans. But be sure to look at my blog. go back to the very first posts. when I built my second guitar, a 14-fret 00 for a friend that lives in KY, I blogged it so he could see all the progress. I also posted stuff there also for my own reference. I went thru all the threads on UMGF and copy and pasted stuff from there. I have all the pictures of old Martin bracing I could find, as well as many pics of guitars.

Your guitar will be a little different than mine. but for bracing dimensions you might want to make yours look like the old Martins. I did that, and I got a great result.

http://00-17.blogspot.com/2009/09/pre-war-bracing.html

http://00-17.blogspot.com/2009/09/1934- ... derly.html

http://00-17.blogspot.com/2009/09/dimensions.html

Martin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Wow, that is a LOT of good info Martin!!! Thanks for that link.
Slacker......
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

OK so at the risk of sounding Ahhhmmmm, uneducated...(Which I AM in this case)...why are the body depths only listed with one number and is it to be assumed that measurement refers to the "Tail Block" measuerement? and/or if that is so, why do they not list the body depth at the neck block? Or is that another unwritten "Luthier" secret I've somehow missed along the way??

Thanks, Ray
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Ray,
Do you want Martin to just go ahead and tell you how to build one of their guitars?
I am referring to C.F. Martin, not Martin Lane. Which by the way, would make a great street name for C.F. Martin to be located on.

I am sure there is no good reason why they dont include the neck and tail block depths. Like, the guy who made the website couldnt figure out how to add another column to the page or something.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Martin supplies this information for "Guitar Players" not builders, to determine comfort levels and comparison to other brands and styles -- it's not intended to provide cloning information. The body depth is the deepest point -- large bodies taper about an inch, the smaller styles about 3/4". BTW there have been several law suits (Yamaha, Alvarez etc.) because Martin does not like others making copies.
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

Tony_in_NYC wrote:Ray,
Do you want Martin to just go ahead and tell you how to build one of their guitars?
I am referring to C.F. Martin, not Martin Lane. Which by the way, would make a great street name for C.F. Martin to be located on.

I am sure there is no good reason why they don't include the neck and tail block depths. Like, the guy who made the website couldn't figure out how to add another column to the page or something.
Yeah I know, I got carried AWAY.... BWAHAHAHAHAH!
it just cracks me up...like you can't go into GC with a rule and MEASURE IT?

I've measured numerous older models in various dealers stores like the infamous "Waist measurement" Shhhhhhhh don't say THAT one TOO loud...HAHAHAHA!
....I ask the Custom Shop a question about the HD 28V one time...they skated on the answer with "That's privileged proprietary information" I laughed and said "It was OK, I'd just put a mirror in MINE the next time I changed strings and see for myself" and all I got on the line was silence...HELLLLLOOOO?? Anyone HOME? #:O)

Ray