the "Norman Kinkade"

Stray Feathers

the "Norman Kinkade"

Post by Stray Feathers »

I've christened my first build Norman Kinkade, rather than "first build" or "making a start" because I expect I will be asking a lot of questions about it. "Norman" is for a Norman Blake-style OM body with a short scale 12 fret neck. "Kinkade" is for the book by Jonathan Kinkead, and a form made from the book, that I was given. I am working on two Sitka tops, one I bought that I thicknessed to Kinkade specs, and one I was given that is a little thinner. I was leery about using that but John H. said it was not out of range so I thought I may as well use it, even as sort of a guinea pig while I learn. I have a set of rosewood for the other top, but now am wondering what to use for the thinner one. I'm leaning to cherry. I can get western Prunus emarginata from a somewhat local tonewood supplier. Can anyone tell me how it compares with eastern cherry, P. serotina? (There is lots of online opinion about the latter, virtually none about the former.) My research also got me thinking about using cherry for both necks. Cherry is often compared favourably with mahogany, but most people seem to go with the more traditional wood. Any thoughts?
tippie53

Re: the "Norman Kinkade"

Post by tippie53 »

cherry can make a great neck . The tonal quality leans more to the maples I feel. I have made 4 guitars in cherry and they made great guitars.
I recommend to use a brace scheme with 5/16 X brace and 1/4 in scallop top bars.
I think you will be pleased . The cherry has a great sustain and with the thin top , wider braces you will balance the stress well.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

Post by   »

John, what are your thoughts on cherry back/sides and cherry bridges?
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

tippie53 wrote: I recommend to use a brace scheme with 5/16 X brace and 1/4 in scallop top bars.
I think you will be pleased . The cherry has a great sustain and with the thin top , wider braces you will balance the stress well.
John, I am starting to cut braces for my two tops. Can you clarify a couple of things? Is the 5/16 the finished width of those braces? If so, I think that's the same as the Kinkead specs anyway. And I'm not clear what you mean by "1/4 scallop top bars". 1/4 deep scalloping on the x-braces?