Martin o-28vs

Zen

Martin o-28vs

Post by Zen »

Hi, I am building a martin type small body guitar -with the O-28vs plan and that requires a 632.4 / 24.9 scale with 12 frets to the body. I must have used the wrong heel block as it turns out that the neck is over an 1/8th or more above the body at the tongue area and not flush as it should be. I do have another neck that can be made fit and is flush but its a 25.4 scale with 14 frets to the body. Will this make a big difference if I use that instead? My bridge placement will have to be correct obviously but I will keep that in mind. Anyone built one of these with a longer neck ? Any advise appreciated
Rusty
RUSTY
johnnparchem

Re: Martin o-28vs

Post by johnnparchem »

What is stopping it? I can not imagine that the neck can not be made to fit the block.
Zen

Post by Zen »

johnnparchem wrote:What is stopping it? I can not imagine that the neck can not be made to fit the block.

Its a bolt-on John,and all the holes are pre drilled So, when I fit the bolts through the block then the neck cant go back any further. If it was a dovetail I could play around with the mortise and tenon until got it back enough to get it flush but the bolts will not allow that.

Thanks
Rusty
RUSTY
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Normal occurrence. Turn the holes into slots with a round rasp. You just need to extend the holes an eighth or so. You bolts should have washers so there is no issue.

The block and neck probaly matched but depending on how much is the top of the block got removed when the rims are profiled, sometimes the holes need to be adjusted.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Yep sounds like John has it figured out for you. It is common to enlarge or elongate the bolt holes for alignment purposes. I think you'll be fine.
Zen

Post by Zen »

Thanks a million John and also to Kevin.You guys are the best !!
I was sweating that one out and blaming everything and anything --including the wife !!
Rusty
RUSTY