making a start

Stray Feathers

making a start

Post by Stray Feathers »

I made an appearance here a year or so ago, asking about altering bracing. I'm back to let you know that the input some of you offered has been incorporated in my design for a guitar. I have modified the bracing on the plans by Jonathan Kinkead to make his OM body guitar but with a short scale 12 fret neck - much like a Martin Norman Blake model. As I said back then, I was a bit terrified to mess with this, but I think it will be fine. A friend had given me some tools and a form for this body, plus a glued-up Sitka top, but I found the top to be maybe a little on the thin side (about .100 inch) so I put that aside for my first effort and started fresh. Synchronicity sometimes steps in at times like this, and I was told about the Vancouver Island Luthiers Guild show in October, and went to that. I talked to many helpful people (there are LOTS of folks making 12-fret guitars) and even bought some wood from a company I was planning to visit, saving me a longer drive and a little money. After a lengthy search I found a used 18-inch drum sander so am set to thickness as many tops, sides and backs as I have the energy for, if the first one goes okay. It will be a slow process, and I will be back with questions probably, but for a start, how do people feel about the ready made hide glue? Is it useful? What's the shelf life? Should I just stick with AR glue for everything? (I have just re-read the book about how Wayne Henderson built a guitar for Eric Clapton, but I don't think he will be beating down my door for this one, so maybe I don't have to be too fussy . . . ) At this point I have glued a new top and will start thicknessing and then a simple rosette, and then . . . .

Thanks again to all for helping to get this project underway -

Bruce Whittington
tippie53

Re: making a start

Post by tippie53 »

I have seen martin tops as thin as .095 . I build at .100 to .110 depending on the way it feels
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Chuck73

Post by Chuck73 »

I haven't used the pre-made hide glue. I used hot hide glue for the blocks, top and back braces, neck joint and bridge attachment on the 2 I've built. I like using it, not too much trouble to mix and heat and I found the cleanup to be easier. I used titebond to join the plates, lining, top and back attachment, binding and fingerboard because I'm still pretty slow at those procedures. Please start a thread on your build. I also have a 14 fret om mold and a 12 fret 24.9 scale neck I would like to build with so I would like to learn from your build.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

The pre made hide glue is fine. It does have a shelf life that is shorter than most AR type glues. Franklin puts an expiration date on their bottles. It is also very easy to test, just put a thin smear on a piece of paper and if it dries hard in less than 15 minutes it is good to go.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

My understanding is that the "cold" hide glue is in fact nothing like hot hide glue. It's good glue, but definitely not "the same as."

Hot hide glue is, I have heard, much superior. I haven't had the personal experience to speak with much knowledge though.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

MaineGeezer wrote:My understanding is that the "cold" hide glue is in fact nothing like hot hide glue. It's good glue, but definitely not "the same as."
They are in fact the same glue. The difference is that the liquid hide glue has a chemical added to it to keep it in a liquid state and a preservative it from going rancid while it is a liquid.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

They don't work the same. I don't think you can use the bottled stuff and expect the same results as you would get with hot hide glue.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion