My wife wants a guitar!

Kevin Sjostrand

My wife wants a guitar!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

My wife is a pianist and a piano teacher for 37 years. She does not play the guitar, but while sitting this morning together drinking coffee she asks "would you make me guitar?". I said, "SURE", and we discussed the possibility. She would want a nylon string, but her interest is perked I think by the crossover I'm making. I said, "you can have the one I'm building now if you like it". I think she wants the "next one" that would be "just for her" where she can pick out the style, wood etc.
Will she play it? Well I think so because she is talking about retiring from piano teaching in a bout a year. Just enough time to get it made.
Thought I'd share as this really surprised me. :)

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: My wife wants a guitar!

Alright after much conversation and looking through the wood stash, my wife has decided she wants a classical guitar.
It will be a 1966 Daniel Friedrich design because that is what I have plans for, but it looks like a good size and shape, attractive guitar. Neck width at the nut may be slightly narrower than standard perhaps at 2". This is yet to be determined.
I am not decided yet for sure, but I will probably build it spanish style with the inlet sides , integral neck and neck block instead of a bolt on mortise & tenon. That will be a first for me so I'll have to build the mold, etc.
She wants EIR back and sides with a redwood top, curly maple binding, african mahogany neck. There will be a red and black line purfling around the top and back, not sure about the sides yet. She has picked out a lovely russian made rosette from LMI that has red roses in it on a yellowish background ringed in black. Headstock and bridge will most likely be EIR. Gold tuners and frets. I will plan to do my first french polish on this guitar too!

So I have my work cut out for me this winter, after I restore an authentic WWII Japanese Samurai sword that belongs to a friend of mine! :)

Kevin
Chuck73

Post by Chuck73 »

I think that's the same rosette my girlfriend picked out for her guitar! I have a few pics posted in the blog your project section. It's the "second guitar eir/carpathian OM" thread.
Kevin Sjostrand

Chuck I saw that pic, I think you are right. She really liked that one, she is a red rose person.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

That's great Kevin! Nothing as satisfying as building for family.
Slacker......