French Polish Cost

Zen

French Polish Cost

Post by Zen »

Just thought I would ask around to see if there were any french polishers who do guitars and would be prepared to polish one for me--curiosity more than anything else, but I also have arthritis in my shoulder and find polishing very painful.

I got this reply in the Uk:. note the price and also the comment about the pores.

"costs for hand polishing the guitar would be in the region of £550.00 .. its not a case of how many coats its knowing when there's enough polish on the guitar.. too much and the guitars pores are over choked, too little then there's no body in it.. its certainly a clearer and finer finish.."

Thats what I recieved back from one company.Apart from the cost--silly price in my opinion--is the comment about the pores correct ?
Surely the idea is to fill all the pores before you start french polishing , and the same with lacquer ?

Thanks
Rusty
RUSTY
B. Howard

Re: French Polish Cost

Post by B. Howard »

I don't know what he is saying about the pores....... but depending on your process they can be filled beforehand or as part of the polish process. They still need filled, I don't know how to choke them.

I offer French Polish finishes as part of my finishing services. Pricing starts at $575 for the whole guitar. Construction details and size can increase the price. There is a lot of labor in these finishes. A popular option is to do only the top in FP and nitro or conversion varnish the rest which shaves about $100 from the price
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Zen

Post by Zen »

Thats a much more realistic price and definitely one I would be prepared to pay--especially to an expert like yourself Brian. If I convert the quoted cost it would be 1000 dollars and especially as I don't actually think they ever did a guitar before --pianos mostly I think. If only I lived in the USA !!
By the way--whats conversion varnish ? I heard the name before but always wondered what kind of varnish it refers to.
Thanks
Rusty
RUSTY
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Conversion varnish is the newest of the solvent based wood finish systems. It is and acid catalyzed amino alkyd formulation. It is incredibly durable and thin. It has a maximum film build of 5 mils, with an average application being about 3 mils. It is a difficult finish for a lot of people to spray as it is a post cat and there is some chemistry involved that requires accurate measuring and mixing. It also does not really work like conventional lacquers and care must be used during application as solvent pops can be created with ease if one does it wrong. I like it alot and am thinking about switching my standard finish on my builds to it.

Brian Howard

Zen

Post by Zen »

B. Howard wrote:Conversion varnish is the newest of the solvent based wood finish systems. It is and acid catalyzed amino alkyd formulation. It is incredibly durable and thin. It has a maximum film build of 5 mils, with an average application being about 3 mils. It is a difficult finish for a lot of people to spray as it is a post cat and there is some chemistry involved that requires accurate measuring and mixing. It also does not really work like conventional lacquers and care must be used during application as solvent pops can be created with ease if one does it wrong. I like it alot and am thinking about switching my standard finish on my builds to it.

Hi Brian
What company would supply conversion varnish ? Over here I can get Minwax and fiddes and the the usual shellac and sealer.
You guys have better choices and i like the sound of this conversion varnish
Thanks
Rusty
RUSTY
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Talk to a local cabinet maker. Things on your side of the ocean are very different than the US.

Brian Howard