Tuner Protrusion - pics attached

MKlee

Tuner Protrusion - pics attached

Post by MKlee »

Does anybody have any advice on how to apply a veneer over a machined headstock and NOT make it too thick for the tuners to protrude through the headstock? Is the only answer to thickness sand the veneer to a VERY thin thickness ... or do they make tuner pegs longer for thicker headstocks?

My last build I didn't think about this until it was too late but decided to "inlay" the back of the tuner. Worked fine but was wondering if there was another option before I start my next.

Thanks,
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Klee
Mark@HeartForAfrica.org
Swaziland, Africa
Ben-Had

Re: Tuner Protrusion - pics attached

Post by Ben-Had »

Thin the headstock first. Depending on how long your headstock is you may have to thin the back side.
Tim Benware
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I had the same question. Any thinning of the headstock on the top needs to be done with consideration of the nut position. It don't take much to remove the neck material under the nut position and require the use of a nut with a complementary matching angle on its bottom. In my case I always wanted to build a Martin short scale neck. As it worked out, the distance the nut moved down the neck to get to level with the fingerboard was just right.
Last edited by phavriluk on Sun May 18, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter havriluk
MKlee

Post by MKlee »

I'm actually taking a shot at a ukelele this time and was wanting to hone some of my skills on things I hadn't done before (abalone purfling, bound fretboard, bound headstock). I realize I can thin the veneer, especially since I'm planning on binding the headstock, but I thought maybe I was missing something.

I'm also not a big fan of having to veneer the headstock before doing the inlay ... which I guess will be necessary if it has to be thinned so much.

Thinning the backside of the headstock doesn't sound too great either. Would love to hear other techniques.
Mark Klee
Mark@HeartForAfrica.org
Swaziland, Africa
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Plan on the headstock early in the build for sure. Finish should be about 5/8 in 3/4 in for slot head
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com