New consignment build!

Kevin Sjostrand

New consignment build!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey Guys!
I just took on my next consignment build. The customer wants an OM Walnut with a Redwood top, Koa bindings. Sounds like a nice looking combination, and sound samples of some like guitars have sounded very nice. I hope I can do it justice.
So I'm on the search for a really nice set of dark curly walnut.
John, do you have some in your stash for sale??I found some great redwood tops already.
Anyway, just wanted to share with you guys. I have to get the current build, which is actually a "give away" consignment guitar, up to the finishing stage before I start this next one
Anyone else doing consignment builds? (except for you that do it for a living).

Kevin
Ken Hundley

Re: New consignment build!

Post by Ken Hundley »

Very cool, Kev! What will the neck be? I saw a beautiful flamed walnut neck with maple and ebony stripes at Hanalei Moon guitars....might be perfect for this one!

I am a little curious about the Koa binding. I think it would look great with the walnut, but I am curious how it will work with the top....I would think it might blend in. I have been really likeing the look of a simple bold black purfling on the lighter bindings like koa and maple. Really sets it apart from the tops. Anyway, cool! I still need to finish my two commissions before Christmas.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Kevin Sjostrand

Hey Ken,
I was encouraging curly maple bindings, but he wants Koa. I'm looking for a top that hopefully will have some contrast; a bit darker in color. There will be the narrow BWB purflings on the side, and the wider on the top and back, which should set the Koa off a bit. We shall hope.
What are the two commission builds you are doing?

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Kevin, are you wanting black walnut or Claro? If your wanting black walnut, a guy that is over at the OLF and on e-bay has good stuff. His name in both sites is mcgr40 if you want to contact him. There seem to be a lot of sources with nice looking claro.

That combo sounds real nice. Maybe try a striped, sinker redwood top like this one:

Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Hey Darryl,
Thanks for the hook-up. I'll look into this guy. My customer wants dark, so either black or claro is fine with some varegation is good. He does want a pretty homogenous looking top, so I have to stay away from the stripey look on this one. That is a pretty cool looking top though. I am checking with John Hall, he thinks he might have just what I'm looking for in the walnut. I'm hopin!!!
I have found the perfect redwood tops at a great price too.

Kevin
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Kev....still working on Black Beaty (She's really irritatin me too, that freakin black top!) and the auction guitar. The padauk auction seems to have stabilized, the braces have settled, so it won't move anymore. Good sign, just a little more inital flex in the top than I thought. It's time to redress the cheeks of the neck, get a slightly better neck angle, buff out some of the ding repairs,a nd go for final setup. Since it is for a kid, I am going to put lights on it. I have nevrer used them, so I am curious what the sound difference will be.
Last edited by Ken Hundley on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
darren

Post by darren »

Kevin,
I tried matching some koa with the redwood (straight-grain, single color tone) top I'm currently bracing, and the reds just weren't similar or contrasting enough, if that makes sense. It just wasn't a good match, at least the pieces I was holding. Just a thought - you'll have to be holding the wood 'in hand' to know if it will work or not.

Congratulations on the consignment!

edit - should mention that I am planning on using Mad. Rosewood bindings - i have a couple sets that have nice brown and red striping that look great with the redwood top and chocolate peruvian walnut sides.
Darren
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

pix to follow to you today
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Kevin - would you share your source for the redwood tops?
DaveB
Kevin Sjostrand

DAve,
I will, but what I found is limited, so I need to make my transaction first, then I will pass it on....hope that is okay.

Kevin