John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
enalnitram

Re: New consignment build!

Post by enalnitram »

Wow, I love those walnut and redwood pieces you got.
Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Martin,
What are you building for your #4?

Kevin
This is your thread, remember? But thanks for asking! I have a good guitar buddy, Brian, that lives in the neighborhood. I drove with him to Elderly about a year ago and helped him pick out a Martin. He settled on a new OM-18. And man, is it a good one! So, meanwhile, this other friend of his, Lucas (that I did not yet know), gets insanely jealous, and starts plotting how to get his dream guitar. He loved my #1 and my #2. And not long ago, all 3 of us went to Elderly again to pick out one for Lucas. Nothing spoke to us. But he kept thinking about mine, and so asked me to build one for him. Some of his motivation seems to be to "better" the other guy. We got BRW back and sides, thru an OLF auction. mastergrade red spruce top thru LMI. EIR binding, ebony fingerboard and bridge. Mahogany neck. Waverly tuners w ebony buttons. Joe White will finish it. And it will have a light sunburst with an brownish amber tint. It will be a 30's style OM-18-ish kind of thing but with a few extra little touches like ivoroid purfling, etc.

I've got the sides bent. Rosette done. The back is joined. I'm about to thickness the back and build the rim. The back and sides are nice, but I think I'm most excited about the top. It's flawless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

John,
I'm sorry I couldn't get if from you too. I might have waited, but I wanted to get the wood in my shop for the winter.
Next time maybe!!
In the pictures the redwood looks about the same tone as the walnut, but is not, it is much lighter. I think there will be a nice contrast between the two...with Koa bindings.
Martin, that is some project. Please share it with us along the way. I may never build with BRW but I sure like seeing them built.

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Wow!!!, awesome project Martin.

The wood looks nice Kevin. That's not black walnut is it? Looks like Claro to me. Is the cross grain stiffness ok on the redwood? It looks nice. Fun build.
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Darryl,
Right now the redwood is stiff, but it is 3/16" thick. We will see when it is thicknessed and reduced to about .125" or a little less.
I think it will fine.
That is Claro Walnut, but is should be pretty dark under the finish.
Tony, I really like the look of walnut. I will be building two of them, but one probably with a sitka top. It will be good to compare the sound of the two.

Kevin
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

I have walnut back and sides lying around (we talked about this in another thread), and I'm really interested to see how the redwood top turns out. I have a cedar top but maybe I'll try redwood, too, if I can find a good one.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Martin, Todd Stock says redwood has a lot of the warmth of cedar with a lot of the "snap" of spruce. I've never played a guitar with a redwood top so can't comment.
Slacker......
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Should make a sweet guitar, Kevin!! You need so swab some mineral spirits on that walnut so we can really see the figuring.

Ken