Crossovers?

Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Crossovers?

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ummmmmmmmmmm, I wasn't planning on making it a cutaway. It is for me, and I don't play up that far on the frets, and, I really prefer the un-cutaway look.
Does it matter as to bridge placement?

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Ummmmmmmmmmm, I wasn't planning on making it a cutaway. It is for me, and I don't play up that far on the frets, and, I really prefer the un-cutaway look.
Does it matter as to bridge placement?

Kevin
I actually like the non cutaway look as well. 12 fret vs 14 fret will move the bridge location from the top of the body.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Right, but how does the bridge location affect the sound, or does it?

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Right, but how does the bridge location affect the sound, or does it?

Kevin

Supposedly more bass.

There are a couple ways that it has been done. One is to make the body a little longer to bring the top up to the 12th fret, I suppose that opposite might have been the case where the body was shortened to make an OM. The other is to move the bridge.

For me the reason I like the 12th fret is that all of my classical guitars are 12 fret and I use it to position my left hand when I play up the neck.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I would probably want to get the bridge in the same lower bout position that is normally used on a classical guitar if I were using classical bracing. I think it would make a difference in sound and I'm guessing that has been optimized over the years.

Somogyi discusses bridge placement a little in his book.
Slacker......
songman101

Post by songman101 »

Hello Kevin
-First I really like your guitars, that said your question is quite interesting and thanks for bringing it up for discussion Kevin.
I'm
on the side of a 12 fret neck and my reason is the sound seems warmer for Classical musical like Sor, Segovia, John Williams etc. Yet I also feel and I'm not totally sure of this next point .Which is that maybe a 14 fret will have more vibrations and allow for deeper tones and perhaps a stronger high . I've been playing for many years and personally prefer a 12 fret. But I'll always have an open mind on the matter. Maybe John Hall could weigh in on this for us all to get a deeper understanding .
Thanks the new newbie Stephen