Altering bracing

Stray Feathers

Re: Altering bracing

Post by Stray Feathers »

Kevin, if I can push my luck, I'm trying to figure out bridge and bracing placement for a 12 fret neck, short scale, on an OM body, or as some would describe it, an OOO body that has not been pushed up to meet the neck at the 12th fret. My Martin 000 12 fret (with the pushed-up shoulders) is a scant 1/2 inch shorter overall than my Larrivee dreadnought. I want to experiment with a guitar that is physically shorter but want to keep the body large enough for full sound. I know, it's all a compromise. But I can give up a couple of frets for the style I play.

Off to my day job . . .
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

tippie53 wrote:Yes the braces are not all tucked in a guitar.
John - thanks for this explanation - I have not yet come across such a clear description. Eventually I guess I will learn more as I dig deeper into design elements.

Bruce
Kevin Waldron

Post by Kevin Waldron »

Steve,

The acrylic template is just that.

Blessings,

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the template that Waldron has is a 12 fret bracing position for a 14 fret body. I have one of about every template he has.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Kevin, I had a look at your templates on your site, and it makes it much more clear - thanks. I did some rough (very rough) number crunching and the ratio of the distance from the bottom of the guitar to the saddle to the total body length looks to be about 36.3% on the Waldron 12 fret 24.9" scale 000 body, and on the plans for the 14 fret 25.4" scale Kinkead guitar I have it is about 41.3%. The soundhole is in the same position. If I modify the plans I have with a 24.9" scale and make it a 12 fret the measurement looks like I have to move the saddle south by about 1 1/8", and it looks to me like I might need only to shift the two lowest braces slightly. On the Kinkead guitar the x-brace is already a little lower than it is on the Waldron 12-fret short scale 000 so that probably helps. I'm grateful for everyone's input on this - I have a much better handle on what's going on. I think I will work with this plan and see how it goes.

Bruce
songman101

Post by songman101 »

hi everyone ,new on the site.
First, :) I have really learned a lot on this topic from you guys. John, I see that the bracing placements are critical depending on the kind(type) tonal ,X, bridge ,finger no tuck. Doe's the lg. of neck from the nut to the last fret and body (lg.) end to end have to determine the scale ? I am contemplating my first 12 fret (slotted head) ,classical design scratch build in a few weeks .
This build will be a real challenge to me and a real online education.( I am a carpenter and also had a tech HS and GE machinist tool and die background) I feel that I can accomplish this build if I carefully follow everything on the drawing and especially read and follow directions and asking good questions .So I am asking ahead of time for help I my choice and here it is . A 298 Terz 6 -string guitar, France, Germany or Austria, 1815- 1830. I bought the plans from the Edinburgh University Collection of Historical Musical Instruments. This will be a personal instrument (guitar) to play myself so I can experience the tonal voices of the past. I will post a design in a day or two that I received recently with a frontal photo showing a guitar w/a flat top with a level neck attached (inserted) level with the top of the guitar w/bone frets not wire and ebony wood on the guitar body section wow :shock: . I really appreciate the Luther-ship that I have been seeing between the Master Luther's while reading and viewing this site and your personal sites as well thanks to all, sincerely Stephen, songman101