3/4 size guitar plans

JLT

3/4 size guitar plans

Post by JLT »

Hi, all!

I've gotten it into my head to make a 3/4 size steel-string guitar, along the lines of a Takamine Mini or a Yamaha Junior. I notice that there are two vendors of plans for this instrument: Folkcraft Instruments and Luthiers Mercantile. Has anybody here used either of these plans? If so, were you satisfied with them?

And are there other vendors of these plans that you know of that you'd recommend?
darren

Re: 3/4 size guitar plans

Post by darren »

The lmi plans, which are listed as '3/4 size, similar to Martin style "5"', are much smaller than what I would consider a 3/4 size guitar. For example, my 3/4 classical is 17.25 in length, 13" LB, the antes "3/4 or style 5" is 16.175, and 11.25 LB. No doubt the Size 5 is a great guitar, just be aware of what you're getting. (the tak mini is 13" LB ...)

I'd be interested in seeing the antes tenor guitar plans, which are 12.5 LB, 17 body length, 23" scale... given mr. antes' bracing style (overbuilt) the tenor plans might be spot on for a 3/4 6 string. :) :)

Let us know what you decide on. I love small guitars.
Darren
Zen

Post by Zen »

Almost finished building a scott antes plan parlor size acoustic and will put up pics when finished. If you go with the LMI option just be aware that theres a few things you need to watch out for including scale measurements. Also the Antes plans are not so useful in my opinion
RUSTY
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I found Antes plans are good for wrapping fish , if you want to bury it. I bought them early and found them to be at best a guideline but not any good. Better stuff is out there.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Here is a truly lovely little guitar I had the privilege to play a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?P ... 91&CartID=

It played and sounded great, and I have been scheming a way to copy it. John - do you have anything like this in your inventory?

Ed Minch
Ed M
Kevin Waldron

Post by Kevin Waldron »

We find that the MS No 7 is an interesting instrument. You might look at it's history and it fits the bill for being a smaller instrument.

Blessings,

Kevin
BBMJKL9830224.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JLT

Post by JLT »

Kevin Waldron wrote:We find that the MS No 7 is an interesting instrument. You might look at it's history and it fits the bill for being a smaller instrument.
I looked at your web site but couldn't find any plans for the MS No 7. Do you sell them, or just the acrylic templates?
Kevin Waldron

Post by Kevin Waldron »

Sorry, but we only offer templates. If you look around you can find a lot of information on the web about the instrument.

Blessings,

Kevin
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Kevin, I've been following this thread, and I've had it in my head to build something along the lines of a Martin 7-28, and the 'MS no. 7' looks as if has that sort of layout. But I took your advice and asked Google to help me locate further comment, and I'm coming up blank. If you have a more specific description or a link to the guitar's design, I'd love to have it.

Thanks very much.
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I posted about the Gibson 3/4 size student guitar last week. Here is another that just came into Retrofret - very similar and my favorite guitar shape. A Kalamazoo Sport that is a bit bigger at 12-3/4" on the lower bout

http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?P ... 04&CartID=

Ed Minch
Ed M