removing neckblock?

dwd811

removing neckblock?

Post by dwd811 »

I am on my first build - I dont know how butI got the top to side angle wrong at the neck- it's around 92-93 degrees and I can only pull it so much - has anyone had to heat the neck block to remove in order to remove it to correct the problem? Is it even possible? The back is not installed yet. Should I just start over?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Delcambre
Picayune, MS
CavalierKingCharles

Re: removing neckblock?

Post by CavalierKingCharles »

I'm thinking a shim under the fret board extension.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I would first fit the neck and see where the neck ends up. The neck needs to be sloped so that a straight edge on the neck face without the fret board is about a 1/16 inch off of the top at the saddle location. Do not adjust the neck to the top. At that point you can see what is going to happen with the fret board extension. If it is really just angle at the block, not the entire upper bout a shim may work.

The last thing I would do would be to try to pull the block. To pull the block you need to first pull the top as the rim would also be sanded down and would need to be fixed.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

this isn't that bad You would want to see about 91 1/2 degrees
you set the neck to the body , look at the sides and the lines at the bouts. When you set the body vertical are these planes matching or is one bout out of line with the other?
I never take the guitar out of the mold until the top and back are glued on. You really want to keep things in alignment.
I am sure you can make this work , it is all part of the learning curve. You learn more from mistakes than success , so in reality mistakes are learning opportunities.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Dave Sayers

Post by Dave Sayers »

If the back is not installed you may be able to make adjustments as you go.
dwd811

Post by dwd811 »

Thanks Mr Sayers....Yu were right - I amde a small adjustment when I glued on the back and all seems well - I'm quite pleased actually. I appreciate the feedback from all of you.

David
David Delcambre
Picayune, MS