Making a Classical Spanish Guitar

Thithi

Making a Classical Spanish Guitar

Post by Thithi »

Hey everyone,
I decided a month ago that I was going to build my own Classical Spanish Guitar, and after trying to build one without any help, I failed miserably, so I wanted to have some tips.
here is what I want the guitar to look like http://www.twenga.com/price-classical-s ... uitar.html.
Nothing out of the ordinary :) But I saw on another forum people building their guitars in 100 different ways..so I just want to find the easiest and best way to get an amazing end result :)
I hope you guys can help me out :)
Have a great day!
Tony_in_NYC

Re: Making a Classical Spanish Guitar

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Hey Thithi, welcome to the forum.
Boy...you sure asked a loaded question!! There is no "best" way to build a guitar. There is only the way that works best for you. Since you have seen so many different building styles, take your choice of the one that makes the most sense to you. That is what I did when I decided to buy my first kit. I saw dozens of techniques, and when I came across the KMG site, I said, "Eureka!!" That building style worked for me because of the many things I thought were common sense approaches to uncommon tasks. But the KMG method is not neseccarily the best method for everyone, which is why there are many kit suppliers.
Some guys build spanish style guitars on a solera and use a Spanish heel neck block. Some guys use a more modern bolt on neck for a Spanish style guitar. The only important thing is that you pick a method you can understand and utilize effectively to end up with a finished product you can be proud of.
So I will not suggest the "best method" to you and I would bet that nobody on this forum will either. The only person who can tell you the "best" way is you.
I will tell you that building with a true Spanish Heel neck block poses different problems than building with a bolt on mortise and tenon joint. I cant tell you which is best, but I can say that one offeres the ability to reset the neck down the road with ease, while the other is pretty much fixed for life.
I am sure other guys will weigh in on this with their opinions and you will eventually find the method that suits you best.
Do you have any wood working experience? Other than your first attempt at building a guitar I mean.
Thithi

Post by Thithi »

oh none actually, this is like building Noah's Ark for me :)
I bought a couple of books to help me out... and looking at videos etc.. but I think my fingers are full of splinters that I can not take out..
hmmm I'll let you know how it goes!
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I build my first classical guitar from a serviced LMI kit. THe LMI kits do not have instructions so I used a Hawser 37 plan and read books from both the Jonathan Kinkead and Jonathan Natelson\William Cumpiano. Plus I watched many videro on the web. The LMI kit builder allows use to pick and chose what parts they will do versus what you will do.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Ac ... 648&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Guitarmaking-Trad ... 90&sr=8-16

Picture:
http://www.kitguitarforum.com/board/vie ... ?f=7&t=403
Thithi

Post by Thithi »

Thanks for the tip!!!
I'll check these books and videos!!
Thanks for everything guys!
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I've never built a classical guitar, heck only built 1 and 1/2 guitars so far. But I heartily recommend a kit for your first. You sound like you have a bit less experience woodworking than I have, and I don't think I could build from scratch now or the near future.
LMI offers a lot of choices, but Ken at KMG offers a lot also, plus he takes much interest in your build. John Hall also takes a great deal of interest. I won't swear to it, but KMG and Blues Creek Guitars (John Hall) have better prices!!! It's nice to have them and the rest of this forum to fall back on when you hit a snag. John Parchem built a very nice classical guitar - has me leaning toward one. He can be good help to you. And there are commonalities between steel string and classical that a lot of us can help with as well.
Good luck, hang around awhile with us, learn from us, teach us, and have a good time building.
Bob
Thithi

Post by Thithi »

You guys are really nice and friendly!! thanks alot!!
Have a great day!

and dont worry I'll hang around!
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

Here was my classical build, a serviced LMI kit in the traditional Torres-Hauser style. I built on a modified solera (with a small body mold), used a Spanish heel and traditional 7 fan bracing. I used nitro instead of French polish since I was more familiar with it.

http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/archives ... 86_0_6_0_C

There are many other ways to build a nylon strung guitar (there is lots of experimenting with double tops, nomex sandwiches, sound ports, lattice bracing.....) but mine sounds like you would expect Segovia to be playing Sor or Bach (not that I sound that way, mind you)

One of the best references for building this style of guitar in this fashion is Cumpiano - if you don't read anything else get "Guitarmaking - Tradition and Technology" Good luck