Purfling and cocobolo

Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Purfling and cocobolo

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Yeah, Cocobolo is stunning under a finish. I wish I'd used curly Koa for the bindings as these were unfigured. I made a walnut/curly Koa Om and man does the curl pop. You might want to consider the curyly Koa.

I used epoxy to join the back panels. I used LMI white glue on the bindings/purflings as most of the contact is with the mahogany kerfing and the spruce top. The bridge is also Cocobolo and I used a special gorilla glue (not the original, but their polyvinyl one I think) to glue it down. I tested it first on scrap and compared it to the LMI glue and I could pry the cocobolo off the spruce with the LMI glue, but not with the gorilla glue. No issues with the bindings/purflings.

Kevin
watergunn

Post by watergunn »

I had no idea cocobolo was so hard to glue.

Luckily I have a bottle of the LMI that should be here in a day or so.

My purfs are plastic. Would the LMI work there also or would I do the weldon on that and the LMI on the coco?

Sorry for so many questions.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

cocobolo can be difficult. I used acetone to wipe the area then glued with duco cement.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rienk

Post by rienk »

tippie53 wrote:cocobolo can be difficult. I used acetone to wipe the area then glued with duco cement.
These are the kind of tidbits that would be nice to put on a list of suggestions for each wood species.
Is there some place on this forum that such lists/charts (spreadsheets) can be kept, so that one does not have to search individual forums to try to find such a tidbit? I wouldn't even know how to search for a nugget of information like this!