Wood Chart (for side bending)

rienk

Re: Wood Chart (for side bending)

Post by rienk »

tippie53 wrote:The variables you need to play with are heat, duration and water quantity.
As stated previously, some woods like more heat. Some like less water. Using wet paper is a controllable way of using water as an anti-scorch agent.... With all the info out there you will soon understand it is about the unit and the process .
Getting back to this subject, your comments above are why I believe it would be good to develop some sort of chart to help people working with new wood species know what the best protocols are to use in bending.

Side thickness
Temperature
Water amount (none, light spray, wet paper, etc... maybe on a scale of 1-5)
Length of Time - heat applied
Length of Time - cool down

Helping others have a good starting point for the process will encourage others to try new things more readily.

I did a rough count, and there seem to be about 70+ different species of wood used for lutherie now. My goal is to make at least one guitar from each of them (I'm stockpiling the wood now).
Any help from those who have done so before would be greatly appreciated (at least by me 0 if not many others).

I'll create the spreadsheet, if anyone is interested in helping fill in the blanks.
(it might be a empty chart for a while - but we have to start somewhere).
Thanks!