Electric Guitar Neck Joints

seanbig

Electric Guitar Neck Joints

Post by seanbig »

I was wondering what everyone's experience was with the different types of neck joints. I have been thinking I want to go with neck-through as it sounds as though that would be very stable and difficult to mess up. I've also read that it makes for better sustain, does anyone know how true that is?

What types of joints have people used on their electrics / electric basses and how have they turned out?

Does anyone know the pros and cons of each type of joint?

Thanks,

Sean
Sean Big
Sean@BiggerRoom.net
Bigger Room Productions - Web Design for any size project.

When You're Workin' on Somethin' Good
You're Gonna Need a Bigger Room
tippie53

Re: Electric Guitar Neck Joints

Post by tippie53 »

I Have used the gibson les paul glue in and bolt on . They both work. resets are needed on electrics also , so plan for that.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

It's back to that age old question, arguments for each choice can be made and there will always be those who prefer one over the other.
I have built all three. I am currently on my 7Th Telecaster copy. My Dad was a personal Friend of Leo Fender and involved with some of the design basics of the Nocaster and Telecaster in the early beginnings, so I probably have a different way
of looking at the subject... however, at the risk of rambling, here goes....

Statement:
One thing is undeniable, as long as guitars have strings, they will be constantly trying to self-destruct by pulling the bridge and headstock together...as long as that continues, repairs of some sort are emanate.

Opinion 1. "Neck Thru" Builds

Positive side: MAY improve tone and sustain ( Totally subjective)

Negative side:
I personally do not like "Neck Thru" builds. They look good, they feel good, and for the most part, they usually sound even better.. (To me) but...
Neck Thru's have a "Built-in" problem, (Yes, Pun intended LOL).
This is not a perfect world...Guitars are not immune to damage and wear and are generally in need of service at some point. (See Statement above) The situation is obvious. Of course, re-frets, repairs, and neck replacement is by far better accomplished with some sort of a removable neck.

Opinion 2. Set Neck (The Choice of the Purist)

The positive side: Neck IS removable. Produces a better sustain (Totally subjective)

The negative side:
I personally don't care for Set Necks. I know, sounds like "Opinion 1." But the truth is as John pointed out, (See statement above) you are guaranteed at some point that this guitar WILL require a "Re-set". It just comes with the territory. Time changes everything and wood is certainly no exception.
Set necks require the same basic steps as removing the neck of most set-neck acoustics. Including disturbing the finish, and running the risk of damaging the top wood and or the end-block and sides.
Arguably, they do it every day, but damage DOES occur and it opens up another can of worms.
According to SOME.. the layer of glue between the neck wood and body wood and neck block actually reduces sustain by acting like a "Gasket" of sorts. I'm no expert, and because of that...I'll just say that I personally don't believe that is true, just because my gut feeling says it isn't true. (For what ever that may or may not be worth LOL)

Opinion 3. Bolt On Neck Joint

Positive Side: Necks can be removed in a matter of minutes. Rarely if ever need a "Neck set". Macro adjustments possible with the use of dual rods. Easily repaired, re-fretted or replaced.

Negative side: Occasional problem with alignment. Neck comes loose. Imperfect fit.

Once thought to be the ruin of fine guitars and the first sign of junk at best, this is MY favorite.

Acoustic OR electric Bolt on necks are fast becoming the favorite of lots of folks who do this stuff. (And of more and more players alike).

It isn't popular to trash a favorite guitar because the neck can't be replaced for what ever reason.
It isn't popular to spend (Depends on the area) upwards of $300 for a quality neck-set or to have a Luthier tell you collateral damage will cost another $300 to get the guitar playable again.

It IS popular to change necks rather than re-fret, re-board. (Much cheaper)
It IS popular to change necks to CHANGE THE TONE of the guitar. (Different wood combinations and choices).
It IS popular to change necks to change the shape of the neck. (Good sales point if that's your end game).

Bolt-ons are as dependant as any other on GOOD joints. The smoother and more perfect the contact between the neck wood and the body pocket the more efficient the vibration transfer and the better the sound.

Most problems with bolt-ons for electrics can be corrected with good Luthier practices and good components. Properly drilled holes. Good hardware. Bolts and inserts instead of screws. Correct pocket shapes and heel sizes and so on.

The biggest problem today, is poorly cut bodies and necks and the fact that bodies and necks made by different suppliers are NOT ALWAYS compatible.

As an example, Warmoth necks will ALWAYS fit a Warmoth body. USA Custom necks will ALWAYS fit a USA Custom body. Most Fender Licensed MFG's will fit each others products, but that isn't always true.

Know your supplier/MFG make sure who ever makes the body or neck either adheres to the Fender pocket/heel specs or MFG specs and make sure that YOU do the same with the proper templates if you make these components.

Just because bolt-ons are generally cheaper and easier, does not mean they can be
sloppy and poorly made.

Bolt-on neck joints are just as durable as any other IMHO. My father was presented with the 3rd Telecaster built (August '51 neck and body date) for his Birthday Sept. 28TH, 1951.
I grew up with that guitar and it was in our family and played regularly until August of 2000. It currently resides in a private collection in Seattle Washington and today, is EXACTLY as it left the factory almost 60 years ago. That's good enough for me!

Good Luck,
Ray
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

like Ray stated so nicely . I would say do a bolt on . Keep the joint clean and precise.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com