pickin' stick

darren

Re: pickin' stick

Post by darren »

ready for finish sanding and a few coats of tung oil.
WRC top:
Maple back:
no stand needed:
Darren
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Well Hot Dog Darren, you did it. That looks great!
How did you lay out the frets? Is it a standard spacing with some of the frets missing?

kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that was a nice tutorial , think I will make this a sticky for you
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
darren

Post by darren »

Kevin, yes it is 22.75" with some of the frets missing. The frets are arranged in a diatonic cale, like a mountain dulcimer. I just copied the measurements from the book.

It is pretty cool, looking forward to hearing it. I noticed some tool marks when i wiped it down last night, I'll clean up a little bit, but not much; it is for a 5 y-old...

You could definitely turn out 2 or 3 of these in a few Saturdays.
Darren
darren

Post by darren »

tippie53 wrote:that was a nice tutorial , think I will make this a sticky for you
Thanks John. This is a fun little project, that is a good introduction to building instruments, or a good break from building more complicated instruments. :)
Darren
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Very neat. I'm gonna build one for my grand daughter for Christmas. Thanks for sharing.
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Ben-Had wrote:Very neat. I'm gonna build one for my grand daughter for Christmas. Thanks for sharing.
OK, it started out it was going to be one but I figured, "what the heck." I bought enough material for six. One for my Grand daugher and as many others as I can get made to sell at my booth during the music festival here in Creedmoor on Sept. 15th.
Tim Benware
darren

Post by darren »

Ben-Had wrote:
Ben-Had wrote:Very neat. I'm gonna build one for my grand daughter for Christmas. Thanks for sharing.
OK, it started out it was going to be one but I figured, "what the heck." I bought enough material for six. One for my Grand daugher and as many others as I can get made to sell at my booth during the music festival here in Creedmoor on Sept. 15th.
Nice! did you get the book?
Darren
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

darren wrote:
Ben-Had wrote:
Nice! did you get the book?
No. I'm doing a variation of a Youtube tutorial I found on line by Andy Mackie. It has six parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLladx6I ... re=related

Very easy to upgrade if you wanted. On the first 2 I'm really only changing the tailpiece from straight to give it a little curve. I should get the remainder of the parts in the mail today and have them finished tonight. Very fun project.
Tim Benware
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Weeeeellll, I was thinking I'd make these for my grandkids, but I showed my wife, and she said "that sound is annoying".
She is a piano teacher. I guess I won't be building them afterall!!

Kevin