Purfling

Darryl Young

Purfling

Post by Darryl Young »

Looking for some opinions on selecting purfling.

On the 00 I'm building, I'm using Cocobolo binding with Cuban mahogany back/sides and a Lutz spruce top. The neck is Honduran mahogany with a 0.060" black centerline down the back of the neck which I think looks nice. I've been planning on using the small Herringbone pattern for purfling on the top. The edge of the Cocobolo binding has black stipes in it and it competes a little with the herringbone pattern but doesn't look bad. It looks better if I add a white purfling line between the Coco and the herringbone......but doesn't look balanced without a white line on the inside of the Herringbone and if I add one there it disappears.......looks like it's part of the top. Any suggestions? Herringbone only will work, just wondering if anyone has a better idea.

On the sides, I wanted to add a green/white line simlar to what I did on the outside ring of the rosette; however, my daughter doesn't like the green line (the guitar is for her). If I'm not putting a green line there, I wish I had used a black line instead of a green line in the rosette (oh well). So I'm thinking of using a black line only.......similar to the single black line stripe down the middle of the neck......between sides and binding and on the back between back and binding. Thoughts?
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Re: Purfling

Post by Darryl Young »

Thanks for reading this post! Difficult to give advice without having the pieces right in front of you.

I've decided to go with a black line only for the side purfling and the the back purfling. Still haven't decided but I will use herringbone only or put a black line either side of it (for the top purfling).
Slacker......
johnnparchem

Re: Purfling

Post by johnnparchem »

I used a black line side purfling on the harp ukulele. I really liked how it cleaned the edges without standing out.