Side Bracing?

phavriluk

Side Bracing?

Post by phavriluk »

I haven't easily found a discussion about side bracing on guitars, save for a comment to place a brace every three inches on the sides. What are common dimensions of the wood used in these side braces, and is there a preference as to which wood species to use?

Thanks very much.
peter havriluk
Ben-Had

Re: Side Bracing?

Post by Ben-Had »

I match the wood species to the type the B/S set is. They are about 1/2" wide and I place four of them over/in-line with the back braces and the final 2 centered between the last brace and the neck/tail block. When I cut them to length I start at the back so if I happen to cut it too short I can use it further forward.

edit - cut them cross grain to the sides
Tim Benware
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Tim, thanks for your comments.
peter havriluk
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

P: One of the reasons for side braces is to prevent a crack from running the full lenght of the guitar side. The joint where the side meets the lining is called a stress riser and is prone to cracking. If you stiffen the side by adding braces you will increase the stress riser. To get around that problem you should inlet the side braces into the lining a small amount. Am not saying not to use side braces,there are lots of folks who do use them,myself included, but rather just make sure you are aware of the situation and act in accordance.
Tom
Last edited by Tom West on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I do it 2 ways. My favorite is cloth ribbon as Martin did it in the early days. If I use wood I make them about 1/16 in thick and butt them to the kerfed lining. I have seen them done so many ways and it is only there for a side crack.
They certainly are not a tonal brace.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com