Fret Bender?

phavriluk

Fret Bender?

Post by phavriluk »

I've installed frets with a shaped caul mounted in an arbor press, and the process seemed more rational than bashing them in freehand with a hammer. I don't remember if the frets were pre-bent at the time, which was a couple of years ago. So....do I need to pre-bend frets to an arch shape before installation if I'm using the arbor press technique? If so, any suggestions? Thanks!
peter havriluk
Tom West

Re: FRET BENDER?

Post by Tom West »

I get fret wire in coils the same as Rick and have never had or even used a fret bender. Also I install frets with a soft faced hammer and after all are installed clamp each individual fret with a caul and then run CA on either side with a pipette and then clean up with acetone and a bit of scraping with a safety razor blade. I also use EVO wire and find it wears much better than regular. Not sure why folks sell straight fret wire. I'm sure it comes out of the extruder and is done up in coils.................prebend so to speak.
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
rienk

Re: FRET BENDER?

Post by rienk »

Tom West wrote: Not sure why folks sell straight fret wire. I'm sure it comes out of the extruder and is done up in coils.................prebend so to speak.
I know this is an older thread, but what Tom says makes a lot of sense. The coils that are sold are usually less than 24" in diameter, which equals a 12" radius. So unless you're doing an electric guitar with a 7.5" radius, there should be no reason why you would need a fret bender at all - as long as you use the coils!

I hadn't put two and two together before... guess I don't need to buy a bender after all.