Fretboard Binding

phavriluk

Fretboard Binding

Post by phavriluk »

I have a project in progress, and I took a notion to bind the fretboard so's the fret tang is hidden after the fret's installed. So...a question:

Is the convention to trim the fretboard on each side by the thickness of the binding so that the bound fretboard is the same size as it was originally before binding, or is the 1/16" or so added to each side nothing to concern myself with so long as the neck has the width to accommodate the wider fretboard?

Thanks, folks.
peter havriluk
SKBarbour

Re: FRETBOARD BINDING

Post by SKBarbour »

I would keep the fretboard a standard width. That means you should probably trim off the thickness of your binding from the finished size of the fretboard.
kyle
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

P: If you use the cutoffs from the board you can get a board that looks unbound but does not show fret ends. I do this as standard practice now.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Thanks for the affirmation, that's the effect I wanted to achieve.
peter havriluk
Tom West

Re: Fretboard Binding

Post by Tom West »

P: Forgot to mention but no doubt you understand that you have to undercut the tangs of the frets at their ends.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
phavriluk

Re: Fretboard Binding

Post by phavriluk »

Tom, thanks for the heads-up, although I did understand that I intended to hide the shortened tangs behind a strip of binding....but we all know somebody who forgot the obvious and felt like the dumbest person he'd ever met....
peter havriluk