Best Tonewoods

tommy_gpl13

Best Tonewoods

Post by tommy_gpl13 »

Hello everyone,

I am building my first acoustic guitar and I am looking to create a sound similar to that of Jack Johnson or Jason Mraz (particularly the songs Taylor and I Won't Give Up). What would the best woods be for the soundboard? Top? Back? and Sides?

I am also looking to build a neck and fingerboard that allow for easy slides and bar chords, but can also sustain a note. What woods would be best for those qualities?

Thanks all
johnnparchem

Re: Best Tonewoods

Post by johnnparchem »

What guitars do you like to play? Pick the style you like and build that. Use spruce for the top and Indian rosewood for the back and side. Being your first or even your 10th there are a bunch of factors that are going to affect the the sound and the playability more so than the wood you pick.
Last edited by johnnparchem on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

What John said +1
tommy_gpl13

Post by tommy_gpl13 »

Thanks.

I currently play an Epiphone PR-4E Acoustic. It is impossible to slide or form bar chords on it. I also play a PRS SE-EG, and that is phenomenal. Of course there is a huge difference, but I have played on acoustic guitars that have the playability of electric guitars, and it made my Epiphone look amateur.

I know there are a million other factors, and I have questions about all of them.
Right now I am looking into a dreadnought shape, is that best for the sound I'm looking for??
Also, what is the trade-off between small fret wire and high fret wires?
And, what effect does the angle of the headstock have on the playability and sound?
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I have made two different parlor guitars with each with a different neck angle. I did it because one was a slothead and one was not. I changed the angle to assure that the upper strings cleared the lower tuners. I am not sure it had a big impact in sound but a good break angle against the nut and saddle may help. If set within a normal range I do not think it has an impact of playability.

If you gave your Epiphone PR-4E Acoustic to a really good setup person and allowed them to do whatever they needed to do. Level the frets, set the neck angle properly set the action of the strings, especially at the nut. It can be made very playable.

From what I hear choosing high wire vs low wire frets is a personal choice of the player. The high wire will make it easier to get a good sound and bend but an inexperienced player will throw off the intonation of notes just fretting to hard. I would not start with low frets on your first guitar or they may be very low by the time you have them leveled.