Maple Size 2

darren

Maple Size 2

Post by darren »

thought I'd share the next project already well underway... the rim is 100% maple.

Darren
johnnparchem

Re: Maple Size 2

Post by johnnparchem »

This is the size 2 for your son? It looks good.
darren

Post by darren »

yep. thanks! It is a nice little shape. The box makes a nice 'boom' when you thump it and I still have some thinning of the top to do as indicated by the pencil marks. That should get it flexing a little more.
Darren
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Darren,
The end blocks and kerfing are also maple? If so, how is the weight?

Kevin
darren

Post by darren »

Kevin,
that's correct... I should find a way to weigh this thing to compare with the next one I guess. If you compare each maple part with its mahogany counterpart the maple is of course heavier but what I'm reading indicates a stiff, heavy rim may be a good thing. The neck is going to be maple and having some more weight in the body will avoid being neck-heavy. That is the hypotheses at this point... these are all experiments anyway right? if it doesn't turn out then I'll do it differently the next time.

I've already decided I won't make kerfing with a hand saw again.... did a batch of hog and the maple ones for this little guy and man is the maple hard!
Darren
David L

Post by David L »

That is awesome!

David L
darren

Post by darren »

Runningdog wrote:Whoa! That's a really long bridge plate! Does it cross the wings of the bridge?

And I'm curious about thinning the soundboard under the fingerboard extension -- are you leveling it here for better fit or do you have something else in mind?

In any event, it's a lovely little thing!
It is a lovely thing isn't it? I find it interesting that my guitars are getting smaller and smaller. I went from OMs to OOs and now a size 2.
My intent is not thinning under the fb extension, I just need to tweak the fit to get my neck angle right. Pencil marks are there to remind me before I jump into binding.

Agree on the long bridgeplate, but that's what the plan has (I'm loosely following the Antes small concert plans) and how I've seen some others done... maybe because the bridge is located fairly low in the lower bout.

Here is an example of Terrence Kennedy's size 2:

David L wrote:That is awesome!

David L
Thanks David!
Darren
darren

Post by darren »

You know Rick, I just checked the plans and the bridge front corners just barely hit the x. Plans have a 24.5" scale and a 6" wide bridge.

My bridgeplate is located for a 24.9" scale so the bridge may have to be a hair wider than 6" to hit the x. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. :)
Darren
darren

Post by darren »

just about ready for finish. lousey pics, but you get the idea. :)

Darren
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Very very nice Darren. I was wondering how you were coming along with this one. Great job on the the neck!

Kevin