Did 30's Triple-O's have domed soundboards?

ColestineGuitar

Did 30's Triple-O's have domed soundboards?

Post by ColestineGuitar »

My brother and I have fallen for the same guitar, a Martin OOO-28vs. Thankfully, neither of us can afford it. So, I have acquired two sets of plans for a 1930s OOO, the one with twelve frets free and the old-style longer upper bout. In the drawings (from Ultimate Guitar OnLine) I see no evidence that the top is domed.

Can anyone tell me if a Martin OOO-28 has a domed, or a flat soundboard?
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.
tippie53

Re: Did 30's Triple-O's have domed soundboards?

Post by tippie53 »

The top did indeed have a dome . I have a 1857 0-27 and it is domed. Martin wanted to see about 1/8 of a dome. They did this a number of ways. From using a radiused brace and how they manipulated the RH. The key is more to how that neck angle was applied. Over the years Martin changed some of the production techniques.
In the old days they would lay the top plates on a hot register to help dry out the inside so the the dome would develop . Good luck and show plenty of pictures. If you need the period zipper and herringbone I had that made . The zigzag strip and herringbone used then is different from todays , also the neck was a tee bar truss rod. I also carry them. They are not easy to find
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

tippie53 wrote: If you need the period zipper and herringbone I had that made . The zigzag strip and herringbone used then is different from todays , also the neck was a tee bar truss rod. I also carry them. They are not easy to find
I'm guessing that is an understatement.......
Slacker......
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

I'm not going to be a stickler for details. The truss rod will be 2-way, but not a hot rod this time. The Martin ones seem better. It's likely I can order that from you.

I'm not even married to the strict 28 trim level, but it's grown on me. Regarding the herringbone, I might be interested, depending on just HOW different the different kinds are. The Stewmac ones would probably be fine. Do you think your period stuff is better in some way?
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

The period is as good at it gets for details . Stew Mac , LMI and Grizzly carry this as well as I . Use what you likt , it is after all your guitar. Have fun with it,
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com