Ash for back/sides?

sawdustdave

Ash for back/sides?

Post by sawdustdave »

OK, I have some Ash in my shop. Wondering how it might work as the back/sides on a guitar. Any thoughts? I know that, being open pored, I'll have some filling to do later. But the wood is beautiful, but has it "guitar potential"?

Thanks!
David L

Re: Ash for back/sides?

Post by David L »

Could you post some pictures? I see no reason that ash could not be used for acoustic B&S, but I'm certainly no expert. It is a very hard wood, MLB bats are made of ash. I have seen some beautiful curly ash that I would love to use for the B&S of a guitar, but that's just me!
With the traditional tonewoods (rosewoods and mahogany) becoming more scarce builders are using more and more non-traditional woods with good results. In my inexperienced opinion I feel that construction procedures, craftsmanship, and attention to detail has more of an impact on how a guitar sounds than the type of wood used with a few exceptions. I would be willing to bet a dollar to a donut that in a blind sound test (with identical guitars) one could not hear a difference between guitars built from oak, maple, ash, cherry, etc... I must say again that I'm no expert so others with more experience may have a different opinion.

David L
mjmeehan

Re: Ash for back/sides?

Post by mjmeehan »

Hey Daves,

I used Ash for a baritone ukulele last year. Pore filling was a bugger but the uke sounds great.

I say go for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.