Classical Koa build

tim mahoney

Classical Koa build

Post by tim mahoney »

This week I started my Koa/Western red cedar classical build. It's been awhile since I last posted as I've been busy making a violin for my wife. I almost have it finished. I will be applying the second "color" coat this week , then 2-3 clear varnish coats, polish and then finally set it up. For those of you that might want a change of pace from guitars, I would suggest a violin. Man o man, what a challenge but so rewarding in the end. I had help in that I was able to work 1 day a week in a master violin makers shop. He charges $$$ but the one on one teaching/learning is my preferred method. Really good return for the money and my wife will have a fine instrument to practice on.

I'm using koa for the back and sides with a Western red cedar top. Koa is one of my favorite woods. My first question would be: what temp should I be using to bend the sides. I use a bending jig that I made. The guitar will be a cut-a-way.
johnnparchem

Re: Classical Koa build

Post by johnnparchem »

Post pictures as you build. I plan to start a classical guitar early this spring. I am just completing a Koa, red cedar steel string. I wish I could help you with the temp. I have the blankets that heat so fast, I start bending when it seems really hot 250-275 and starting to steam a bit. I had no trouble with the two sets I bent.
tim mahoney

Re: Classical Koa build

Post by tim mahoney »

I started the french polish applications on this classical build yesterday. 2 sessions of 2lb cut shellac and then rottenstone as a filler using only alcohol to rub it in. It's a lot of hand work but I sure do like the end results. I didn't take many pics but will post a few next time. Today it's raining here in sunny So Cal. so not sure if I will polish today.

I'm thinking my next build will be a baritone guitar. I don't know much about them so I'm just now starting my research. Any suggestions?