Crotch Wood For a Back?

Darryl Young

Crotch Wood For a Back?

Post by Darryl Young »

I seen a nice piece of Honduran crotch mahogany the other day. HM is very stable.....but I'm guessing crotch figure normally isn't. What are the chances you could successfully use crotch mahogany for the back of a guitar? Would body size matter (D vs 000 or 00)? Sides are a non-issue, just wondering about it's use for a back.
Slacker......
hummingbird

Re: Crotch Wood For a Back?

Post by hummingbird »

Crotch wood? I'm not even going there.
Alain
David L

Post by David L »

From what I understand (which isn't much) crotchwood is where a branch meets the trunk and it makes some beautiful figure. I believe there are two kinds, side on (feather crotch) and head on, not sure of the stability difference in them. I have used crotchwood on several non-guitar projects with no problems however I wasn't using it in the thin dimensions as in B&S so I can't speak on it's stability in that application. I would not hesitate to roll the dice and use it as long as it looks to be solid with no voids or checks, but that's just me, crotch is famous for checks so watch for that.

David L
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

This crotch was cut in the '50s and milled in the '60s so if it hasn't yet checked, it probably won't. I need to learn more about the "side on" and "head on".
Last edited by Darryl Young on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Here is what it looks like:
CrotchMahogany.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slacker......
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

This is one of those it may or may not be a good piece. I agree Mahogany is more stable that other woods. When in doubt glue it up in as low an RH as you can get
john
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That is some purty wood Darryl, I say go for it. Once you have braces on it it should be fine in my modest opinion.

Kevin