00 Top Bracing

Darryl Young

00 Top Bracing

Post by Darryl Young »

What is Martin's standard height for the X-brace at the intersection on a 00 body? If I recall correctly, my 000 was 0.600" or so at the intersection. I'm curious what Martin has typically used.
Slacker......
tippie53

Re: 00 Top Bracing

Post by tippie53 »

height is in .625
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I have another 00 brace question so I'll add it to this thread.

What dimensions are used for the 3 braces around the soundhole? Best I recall they are thin and a little wide.......like 1/16" X 3/8" (or similar).
Slacker......
David L

Post by David L »

My Waldron template calls for .375" X .125" for the three soundhole braces for the Martin style OO-14 fret.

David L
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

they should be .0625 1/16 is correct
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Ok, thanks.

A question: I would think the braces running along the side of the soundhole have a structural purpose. At least they are in line with the string pull. However, being so thin......it's almost like they are functioning only to prevent cracks and sort of make up for the missing sound hole.

So why is there no need for structural support on either side of the sound hole in-line with the string pull? Would it affect tone if 1/4" X 1/4" braces were added here (or is there no need)?
Slacker......
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

From my understanding ...

The braces around the sound hole are "functioning only to prevent cracks and sort of make up for the missing sound hole". The sound board on a steel string is active up to the transverse brace. The x-braces take the structural load under the the transverse brace. Larger braces around the sound hole would just add a bit of weight to the sound board.
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

And, they overlay the area where the Rosette is routed out.
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

Darryl: Good question....!! That is one big honking hole in the top.To me using 1/16" stock does very little for structual support even though a lot of companies do it. I use exactly the size you quoted but taper them down from the center to about 1/16" where they touch the X brace and UTB. I don't think they have any adverse affect on tone and give a bit of extra support where it does a bit of good. When I fit them in I try also to have the ends fit tight against the X and UTB.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have to say that less is more here. The sound hole support is not a structural but an anti split brace. I never seen on fail, it just is there to support the wood under the sound hole. We don't want to add more mass to the top if you don't have to.
You can put in as big a brace as you want, Martin has been using 1/16 inch since 1833. I have seen many different configurations so use what you feel comfortable with .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc