What sizes of wood chisels do you use the most?

1steve1

What sizes of wood chisels do you use the most?

Post by 1steve1 »

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I am a beginner and getting ready to start on my first guitar. I am reading Bill's book (that I bought a while back, but didn't finish yet) and collecting a few tools. I ordered a MegaMold from Ken and it should arrive shortly.

I am curious what sizes of wood chisels people use the most? Like everything, some of the brands can be costly. I saw some chisels by 'Two Cherries' on ebay, but they are costly. Stanley chisels are significantly cheaper.

Thanks for the input.

Steve Cooper
tippie53

Re: What sizes of wood chisels do you use the most?

Post by tippie53 »

It depends on the task. I use mostly 1/2 in and 3/4 inch . My favorite is an old firmer chisel. I get most of my chisels at flea markets. Learning how to sharpen a chisel is a necessary skill.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I have lots and intentionally spread the usage around.

For brace carving i really really really like the Cape Forge chisels that Rick Davis turned me on to. They have a curved bevel edge and work really well for braces. I have a 3/4" and 5/8" straight chisel from them that are my go-to chisels for brace carving.
http://www.capeforge.com/chisels.htm

I have a couple of smaller chisels that I use for notching linings for braces, and relieving the heel of the neck before I floss it. Notably a 1/4" LMI (Lie Nielsen) chisel, and a couple of blue spruce (.032" and .062") for when I need a really small notch in something or cleaning up a lining notch.

There is a lot to what makes a chisel 'good'. The most important thing is that it needs to be REALLY REALLY sharp. You can spend a fortune on chisels, but if they are not sharp, they are essentially junk. The next most important thing is how it feels in your hand, and if you are comfortable with it. Blade length, handle details, weight, etc.. And thirdly is the quality of the steel. This is important in determining how long it will hold an edge. Harder steel sharpens and holds and edge well, but can be brittle and chip. Softer steel is easier to sharpen and is less prone to chipping, but will require constant sharpening.

A lot of this info applies to plane irons as well.

There is some good info out there on chisels and steel type. Check out Ron Hock's website for good information and resources.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

If you are going for new chisles try the Narex brand. By far the best bang for your buck I've ever seen. As John says try flea markets if you know what to look for,but be aware there is lots of junk on the tables to.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
Herman

Post by Herman »

1/2 an inch most of the time. There is one favourite for me. And guess what, it is the cheapest I have. I rather mention no brands 'cause European names won't do for you.

Herman
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Any thoughts on the Two Cherries brand? How about the Two Cherries with the unbreadable cellulose acetate handles like these? I need some smaller width chisels.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com//Mer ... y_Code=CTC

Slacker......
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use a small #1 stanley 45 chisel blade for small work. I use a shaker peg for a handle. I never heard of the 2 cherries but it looks good. Are they German ?
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Yes, it's a family owned German business that has been in business for decades.
Slacker......
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I have a set of two cherries similar to that but with wooden handles.

They are quite serviceable and hold an edge well. I don't love the handle shape, but it's not terrible.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
sawdustdave

Post by sawdustdave »

For me, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 are used the most. Best chisels: Marples/Irwin. I have about 12 of them, and a set of Two Cherries. I use the Marples all the time, Two Cherries for finer work. My most used chisel is an old 1" garage sale find. Ugly, but perfect. Love garage/flea market tools.

And, while expensive chisels are nice, in my opinion cheap well made chisels actually do the same work.